Public Programs Manager
Job: Public Programs Manager
Job Type: Full-Time; Year-Round; 40 hours per week; plus overtime when required; Exempt
Benefits: Comprehensive benefits package 60 days following date of hire (health insurance, paid time off, etc.)
Work Location: Randall’s Island Park, New York, NY 10035
The Public Programs Manager will be responsible for managing the public programs and events on Randall’s Island. The Manager reports to the Vice President & General Counsel, Chief Director of Operations and Deputy Administrator and oversees program staff to develop and implement community and educational programs, which includes building new partnerships with schools and community organizations, recruiting and training volunteers, and continuing to enhance existing relationships and programs. The Public Programs Manager will also be responsible for identifying volunteer opportunities, overseeing the volunteer program and representing RIPA at community events.
- With oversight from the Vice President & General Counsel, Chief Director of Operations and the Deputy Administrator and wide latitude for independent initiative and judgment, work to develop and implement free community events, including nature, recreation, fitness, and environmental education programs.
- Manage, facilitate, and oversee free public programs for park visitors (children, adults, families)
- Manage four full-time Program Staff.
- Plan and organize nature programs, tours, special events, and large festivals.
- Coordinate outreach efforts to community-based organizations and neighborhood residents.
- Oversee the school group and summer camp registration process.
- Manage budgets and track spending and receipts.
- Track and present data in bi-weekly reports to the Vice President & General Counsel, Chief Director of Operations and the Deputy Administrator, quarterly reports to
- Programming Committee of RIPA’s Board of Trustees, and an annual Programming Report.
- Conduct outreach and promote the wide range of community events and volunteer opportunities offered by RIPA by attending volunteer fairs, community meetings, and by interacting with the general public.
- Oversee the implementation of outreach strategies to schools, community organizations, and individuals to encourage and maximize use of facilities and programs on Randall’s Island.
- Work with the Communications Manager to oversee the development and distribution of materials to promote all community events including, creating and editing text for brochures, signage, and promotional materials for park programs.
- Support park-wide initiatives, programs, and events.
- Perform general administrative duties including, but not limited to updating event calendars and relevant social media, filing, faxing, photocopying, scanning, emailing and data entry.
- Perform all other general tasks as assigned by the Vice President & General Counsel, Chief Director of Operations and Deputy Administrator.
- Manage and oversee all aspects of RIPA’s volunteer programs, in close consultation with programming staff.
- Recruit volunteers, manage, track and coordinate volunteer efforts with corporate, school, and community groups.
- Correspond with volunteer groups to ensure they have detailed plans and logistics.
- Collaborate with RIPA managers to develop and implement volunteer projects and initiatives.
- Oversee Corporate Volunteer Program’s invoices and donations; providing Vice President & General Counsel and Chief Financial Officer with quarterly reports on financial activity.
- Orient, train, supervise, and work alongside volunteers in maintenance, cleaning, horticulture, restoration, event, administrative and other projects.
- Maintain close communication with organizations, school groups, and managers to prevent and/or solve problems related to volunteer projects.
- Document and photograph volunteer events and maintain detailed records.
- This job description is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all job functions that an employee in this position may be asked to perform from time to time
- B.A. from an accredited college and four years’ experience in community work or community centered activities in an area related to the duties described above.
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule including evenings and weekends.
- Must be able to work outside the office in the field and to coordinate and facilitate school, community, and volunteer events at the park.
- Ability to manage staff.
- Strong communications and writing skills; ability to articulate and advocate RIPA’s mission.
- Excellent interpersonal, planning, organizational, and time management skills, as well as strong attention to detail.
- Proven ability to make sound judgments and effectively solve problems.
- Motivated and punctual, able to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications.
- Valid NYS Driver License.
- Two to four years in program management or a similar role.
- Knowledge and interest in nature based public programs.
- A minimum of two years of management experience.
- Demonstrated track record of successful program implementation, volunteer management and project planning.
- Fluent in Spanish.
Randall's Island Park Alliance, Inc
Website: Apply Online