Public Space Ambassador
The Horticultural Society of New York (the Hort) is seeking an energetic and dedicated Public Space Ambassador to oversee maintenance and care of a public space. This position is part of the New York City Clean Up Corps, and will end on December 31, 2021.
This position will carry out maintenance and care in a timely and professional manner, working to clean, maintain, and oversee public spaces in New York City neighborhoods hardest hit by Covid. Sites include public plazas and open streets. The mission of the Horticultural Society of New York is to sustain the vital connection between people and plants. Our social service and public programs education and inspire, growing a broad community that values horticulture for the many benefits it brings to our environment, our neighborhoods, and our lives
Maintain open space cleanliness including:
- Changing garbage cans
- Removing trash in planters and tree pits
- Managing Onsite Furniture (moveable tables and chairs)
- Document maintenance and other issues
- Plant Care
- Graffiti removal
- Assist with pre-approved event tasks during normal working hours
- Assist with publicizing events (flier distribution, business notification, etc.) as needed
- Track open space conditions daily
- Participate in education days/professional development
Under the supervision of the Program Manager III, the Public Space Ambassadors will perform maintenance tasks and site management at City CleanUp Corps sites.
- Interest in working as part of a pilot city program
- Hands-on experience providing maintenance (cleaning, trash removal, furniture set-up, etc)
- Comfortable traveling daily to new sites throughout NYC, sometime multiple sites daily
- Excellent communication skills and comfortable interacting with the public, city officials, and local businesses/organizations
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to perform physical labor outside in various weather conditions
This full-time, non-exempt position works Monday through Friday from 9am to 5pm from various field sites. Weekend and evening work is to be expected. The Hort offers CleanUp Corps sick leave and personal leave accrued for time worked, and the opportunity to enroll in our medical plan. MetroCards will also be provided.
To be considered please email a thoughtful cover letter, resume, and two references to Lauren Keane-Farrell at CleanUpCorpsJobs@thehort.org with “Public Space Ambassador” in the subject line. No phones calls.
The Hort is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. It is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, political orientation or any other characteristic protected by federal state or local law
The Horticultural Society of New York
Contact Name: Lauren Keane-Farrell