Research Greenhouse Horticulturist
Yale University offers exciting opportunities for achievement and growth in New Haven, Connecticut. Conveniently located between Boston and New York, New Haven is the creative capital of Connecticut with cultural resources that include three major museums, a critically-acclaimed repertory theater, state-of-the-art concert hall, and world-renowned schools of Architecture, Art, Drama, and Music.
Under the direct supervision of the Marsh Botanical Gardens (MBG) Research Greenhouse Manager, provide horticultural support for the university’s plant research programs at both MBG and the Yale Science Building (YSB), a technically complex, state-of-the-art plant growth facility. Daily tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Plant Care/Health: Assist with advising, training and working with researchers to establish and maintain protocols. In consultation with researchers, assist with establishing and monitoring growth parameters and environmental control settings including temperature and photoperiod regimens, supplemental light intensities, growth media selections, fertilizer and watering regimens, and cultural practices.
- Pest and Disease Control: Assist with assessing, diagnosing and coordinating treatments for pest control, including biological and conventional pesticide treatments. Conduct pesticide applications, maintain spray equipment and pesticide logs, records and reports.
- Communication: Interact with faculty and staff to determine project needs and responsibilities. Help communicate policies, plant growth/health, and facility status. Act as a resource person to users about growing methods and techniques.
- Facilities maintenance. Help maintain, repair, improve and manage mechanical, environmental, and computer systems for state-of-the-art plant growth facilities. Find and remedy problems before they become serious and detrimental. Assist with the general operation of the growth facility to ensure clean, safe and smooth operation. Drive a Yale-owned vehicle to assist with some of the duties for this position.
Required Education and Experience:
Two years of related work experience in the same job family and a Bachelor’s degree in a related field; or an equivalent combination of experience and education. Qualifications:
- Demonstrated ability with taxonomic botany and how this system applies to plants. Ability to multitask, deal effectively with changing priorities and short- and long-term projects. Ability to use good judgment.
- Demonstrated proficiency with research plant care, including propagating, pruning, watering and fertilizing.
- Must demonstrate a valid motor vehicle driver’s license and ability and willingness to acquire (in a reasonable amount of time after hire) a Connecticut pest applicator’s license.
- Ability to assist with pest and disease control. Ability to assist with assessing, diagnosing and coordinating treatments for pest control, including biological and conventional pesticide treatments.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Proficient computer skills, including ability to learn greenhouse management software program, greenhouse and growth chamber computerized control systems, inventory software program, and research plant collections database.
- Preferred Education and Experience: B.S. in horticulture or related field. Commercial or academic horticultural experience. Proven expertise in growing quality plants.
For more information and immediate consideration, please apply online at http://bit.ly/YaleCareers-56825BR. Please be sure to reference this website when applying for this position.
We invite you to discover the excitement, diversity, rewards and excellence of a career at Yale University. One of the country’s great workplaces, Yale University offers exciting opportunities for meaningful accomplishment and true growth. Our benefits package is among the best anywhere, with a wide variety of insurance choices, liberal paid time off, fantastic family and educational benefits, a variety of retirement benefits, extensive recreational facilities, and much more.
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression.
Website: Apply Online