Ruth Rea Howell Senior Horticultural Interpreter
Wave Hill is a 28-acre public garden and cultural center in the Bronx overlooking the Hudson River and Palisades, in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. Its mission is to celebrate the artistry and legacy of its gardens and landscapes, to preserve its magnificent views, and to explore human connections to the natural world through programs in horticulture, education and the arts.
The Ruth Rea Howell Senior Horticultural Interpreter envisions and implements garden interpretation and programming emphasizing the aesthetic significance of Wave Hill’s gardens. The person in this position enjoys working alongside a creative team of gardeners, interpreters, programmers and other staff to champion the gardens and plants of Wave Hill and generate similar enthusiasm in our visitors, both onsite and virtual. The ideal candidate brings sound horticultural understanding to the position and communicates skillfully through writing, teaching and public speaking about plants, garden design and seasonal changes in the garden. The Ruth Rea Howell Senior Horticultural Interpreter reports to the Director of Public Programs and is a key position in the Public Program Department along with the Horticultural Interpreter and Public Programs Manager. The person in this position works collaboratively across all departments.
- Develop onsite interpretive signs, self-guided tours and other interpretive materials
- Work closely with Director of Public Programs and Marketing staff to develop content for thoughtful and timely social media posts, stories and website about plants and the gardens to engage virtual visitors and encourage onsite visits
- Work collaboratively with Public Programs and Visitor Services staff to manage volunteer Garden Guide program including recruitment, training and meeting coordination
- Represent Wave Hill as a horticultural expert on occasional television, radio, in-house video, podcast appearances and other media.
- Review and edit content from Marketing and other departments for continuity and horticultural accuracy
- Advise on and review all garden related text for publication both written and digital
- Plan and lead weekly plant class for John Nally Horticulture Interns (April-November)
- Assist the horticulture department with the curation of the plant collection through identification and verification
- Supervise the Horticultural Interpreter in plant records management including labeling plants in bloom, updating monthly bloom lists, creating temporary labels and ordering permanent labels
- Work closely with the Assistant Director of Horticulture to rebuild and maintain plant database
- Take the lead with the Director of Public Programs and Wave Hill Gardeners to develop horticulture programming that brings attention to Wave Hill’s gardening aesthetic, historic landscape, gardening techniques and the expertise of the Wave Hill gardeners for gardeners of all levels
- Lead garden programs and tours for the public and high-profile supporters
- Other duties as assigned
- An experienced gardener and plant enthusiast with a broad knowledge of woody and herbaceous plants, both hardy and tender
- Minimum of 5 years of work experience in the field of public horticulture
- Solid background in plant taxonomy, identification, and botanical nomenclature
- Strong sense of garden aesthetics and the ability to communicate to garden professionals, staff, media, and the general public
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills and experience writing an engaging text on gardening subjects for social media, website, and print
- Experience developing and leading innovative programs and experience with public speaking for a public garden or similar organization
- Bachelor’s degree, or more advanced degree (preferred) in horticulture, landscape design or related field
- Office and outdoor work required in all seasons with frequent sitting, standing, walking and bending; may be exposed to extreme heat, cold and pollen when working outdoors
- Must be able to lift 20-30 pounds
- Microsoft Office applications and database proficiency
Schedule: Four days/week including some evenings and weekends
Benefits - Medical, dental and vision planned are included, with paid time off. This position includes a 401k with a pension plan.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume and two writing samples on gardening subjects (blog posts or similar) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please state Senior Horticultural Interpreter in subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled and only those receiving an interview will be contacted.
Wave Hill is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive environment for all employees.
No telephone calls, please