Seasonal Assistant Gardener (Bronx & Manhattan Gardens)
Start Date: March 6th 2023 Compensation: $22/hour
NYRP improves, maintains, and programs open spaces in communities lacking adequate resources. Working on public and private land citywide, NYRP’s flexible approach to land management serves as a model for non-profit municipal engagement. Together with partners in city agencies, non-profit organizations, and local communities, NYRP demonstrates the social and environmental value of building ownership over open spaces.
The Seasonal Assistant Gardener will assist the Bronx & Manhattan Zone Gardener in the general maintenance of the Community Gardens that NYRP owns and operates in the Bronx and Manhattan area. The Seasonal Assistant Gardener will join an experienced operations team that works toward a more equitable and sustainable urban landscape, through garden maintenance, restoration, and public engagement. Ideal candidates will demonstrate a strong work ethic, an interest in sustainable management practices, comfort interacting with the public and enthusiasm for NYRP’s mission.
- Garden, sidewalk and lawn maintenance;
- Plant installation and maintenance;
- Delivery of materials for community gardeners;
- Litter removal;
- Graffiti removal and painting;
- Light repair and maintenance of garden infrastructure;
- Safe operation of tools, vehicles, and equipment;
- Interact with staff and the public in a courteous manner;
- Lead groups of volunteers;
- Demonstrate efficiencies in time management and project completion;
- Assist in executing greening projects throughout the city.
- Experience in one of the following fields: horticulture, groundskeeping, landscaping or environmental restoration;
- Valid and Clean NY state driver’s license;
- COVID vaccination is required to be considered for the position;
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions;
- Ability to lift 50-lbs;
- Must be a team-player, willing to collaborate on any and all tasks required for maintaining the highest standards of landscape management and operations.
Industry: Not‐for‐Profit – Environmental
Reports to: Zone Gardener, Bronx & Manhattan Gardens
Start date: March 6, 2023
End Date: November 22, 2023
Schedule: 7:00 am-5:00 pm, Monday to Thursday or Tuesday to Friday
Reporting Location: Sherman Creek Center, 3725 10th Avenue, New York, NY 10034
Interested individuals are encouraged to send a cover letter and resume by email to HR@nyrp.org or standard mail to 254 W. 31st Street, 10th Floor, New York, NY 10001.
NYRP is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
New York Restoration Project