Seasonal Assistant Gardener (Sherman Creek Park)
Start Date: May 11th, 2022 Compensation: $21.00/hr.
NYRP improves, maintains, and programs open spaces in communities lacking adequate resources. Working on public and private land citywide, NYRP’s flexible approach to land management serves as a model for non-profit municipal engagement. Together with partners in city agencies, non-profit organizations, and local communities, NYRP demonstrates the social and environmental value of building ownership over open spaces.
The Seasonal Assistant Gardener supports the general maintenance and horticulture of parkland in Northern Manhattan, including Sherman Creek Park, Highbridge Park, and the Harlem River Greenway. The Seasonal Assistant Gardener will maintain a variety of landscapes including forest, wetlands, and gardens. Duties will include coordinating volunteer activities and maintaining a small urban farm. Thursday through Saturday the Seasonal Assistant Gardener will help with closing the Swindler Cove section of Sherman Creek Park to the public and cleaning a small public restroom.
The Seasonal Assistant Gardener will join an experienced operations team that works toward a more equitable and sustainable urban landscape, through park maintenance, restoration, and public engagement. Ideal candidates will demonstrate a strong work ethic, an interest in ecological management practices, comfort interacting with the public and enthusiasm for NYRP’s mission.
- Garden maintenance;
- Litter removal;
- Clearing and edging paths;
- Invasive plant management;
- Cleaning and maintenance of park infrastructure, including restrooms;
- Interact with staff and the public in a courteous manner;
- Lead groups of volunteers;
- Assist in executing greening projects throughout the city.
- Experience in agriculture or vegetable gardening:
- Minimum of 1 year of experience gardening or landscaping:
- COVID vaccination is required to be considered for the position;
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions;
- Ability to lift 50-lbs;
- Must be a team-player, willing to collaborate on any and all tasks required for maintaining the highest standards of landscape management and operations.
- 2 Years gardening experience
- Horticultural training
- Driver’s License
- Spanish language ability
Industry: Not‐for‐Profit – Environmental
Reports to: Sherman Creek Park Manager
Start Date: May 11th, 2022
End Date: November 19, 2022
Schedule: Wednesday: 7:00 am to 5:00 pm, Thursday-Saturday: 9:30 am to 7:30 pm
Reporting Location: Sherman Creek Center, 3725 10th Avenue, New York, NY 10034
Application: Interested individuals are encouraged to send a cover letter and resume by email to email@example.com or standard mail to 254 W. 31st Street, 10th Floor, New York, NY 10001.
NYRP is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
New York Restoration Project