Seasonal Field Assistant
Start Date: 05/16/2023 Compensation: $18/hour
Van Cortlandt Park seeks a Seasonal Field Assistant to assist with maintenance efforts within the natural areas of Van Cortlandt Park.
The Seasonal Field Assistant is responsible for assisting in carrying out a series of forest, trail, and pond management projects, as well as help with volunteer programming. Van Cortlandt Park contains roughly 640 acres of land protected under New York City’s Forever Wild Program. This section of the park consists of mixed-deciduous forests, small upland meadows, vernal pools, forest streams, a pond, and more! It is a home or refuge for a biodiverse community of flora and fauna. It is also home to many trails including a world renowned Cross Country Course.
Alongside New York City Parks, the Van Cortlandt Park Alliance is dedicated to managing the natural areas and trails of Van Cortlandt Park to promote the health of this important ecosystem for future generations.
Reporting to the Seasonal Field Crew Leader and Deputy Director, they will work closely with Van Cortlandt Park Alliance and NYC Parks staff to collaborate on maintenance efforts throughout the park.
- Remove non-indigenous plant species from within the Van Cortlandt Park forest in efforts to maintain the health of the forest.
- Close desire lines within the forest in an effort to reduce forest fragmentation.
- Maintain Hester & Piero’s Mill Pond through the removal of water chestnut (Trapa natans) and other invasive aquatic species with the assistance of volunteers and high school interns.
- Correct worn and eroded sections of the historic cross country running course and surrounding areas.
- General track and course maintenance including: raking, trash removal, fence repair and installation, pruning, weeding, and painting.
- Daily inspections, in season, of complete Cross Country Course for hazards.
- Working knowledge of invasive species management, local habitats, flora, and fauna;
- Willing to do physically demanding work in inclement weather and wet conditions;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and verbal communication skills;
- Motivated and punctual;
- Able to work both independently and as part of a team;
- Proof of Covid-19 vaccination;
- NYS Drivers License (a plus), and;
- Experience in environmental education and outreach to community and school groups (a plus).