Seasonal Forest Restoration Technician
Start Date: August 2022 Compensation: $18/hour
NYRP improves, maintains, and programs open spaces in communities lacking adequate resources. Working on public and private land citywide, NYRP’s flexible approach to land management serves as a model for non-profit municipal engagement. Together with partners in city agencies, non-profit organizations, and local communities, NYRP demonstrates the social and environmental value of building ownership over open spaces.
The Forest Restoration Technician is a seasonal position at NYRP focused on implementing tree planting projects in the forest of Highbridge Park. The Forest Restoration Technician will assist with site preparation, tree planting, stewardship and monitoring in Highbridge Park. This work will provide the opportunity to expand and improve the urban forest. Additionally, the Forest Restoration Technician will support general park maintenance in Highbridge Park. The Forest Restoration Technician will need to be comfortable leading volunteers in NYRP’s work stewarding the forest of an underserved urban park. The Forest Restoration Technician will join an experienced operations team that works toward a more equitable and sustainable urban landscape, through park maintenance, restoration, and public engagement. Ideal candidates will demonstrate a strong work ethic, the ability to prioritize and complete projects in a dynamic work environment.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Tree planting;
- Tree stewardship;
- Litter removal;
- Support forest research and programming partnerships;
- Invasive plant management;
- Lead groups of volunteers;
- Support general park maintenance and horticulture.
- Interest to learn about ecological restoration, natural area stewardship and tree planting;
- Basic plant identification;
- Experience operating landscaping equipment;
- Comfort level with steep slopes;
- COVID vaccination is required to be considered for the position;
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions and lift 50-lbs;
- Must be a team-player, willing to collaborate on any and all tasks required for maintaining the highest standards of landscape management and operations.
- Fluent in Spanish;
- Experience in horticulture, parks, or equivalent educational background;
- Conversant in fields of urban arboriculture and ecological restoration.
Industry: Not‐for‐Profit – Environmental
Reports to: Forest Restoration Specialist
End Date: November 23, 2022
Schedule: Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Reporting Location: Sherman Creek Center, 3725 10th Avenue, New York, NY 10034
Application: Interested individuals are encouraged to send a cover letter and resume by email to HR@nyrp.org or standard mail to 254 W. 31st Street, 10th Floor, New York, NY 10001. NYRP is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
New York Restoration Project