Seasonal Forestry Technician
Seasonal Forestry Technician (Hurricane Sandy Crew)
Be part of the driving force that sustains Prospect Park, Brooklyn’s Flagship Park. Founded in 1987, Prospect Park Alliance is the non-profit organization that sustains, restores and advances Prospect Park, “Brooklyn’s Backyard,” in partnership with the City. The Alliance provides critical staff and resources that keep the Park green and vibrant for the diverse communities that call Brooklyn home.
The Prospect Park Alliance seeks a Seasonal Forestry Technician to, under the direction of the NRC seasonal foreman, perform all field duties relevant to the Hurricane Sandy Woodlands Restoration Crew.
- Vegetation control of exotic invasive species using both mechanical and chemical means
- Operation & maintenance of machines and equipment, such as weed whackers, augers, chainsaws, trucks, tractors, and chippers in a safe and efficient manner
- Installation of various erosion control structures
- Fence installation and repair to protect sites and mitigate compaction
- Removal of garbage, litter, and homeless debris in natural areas
- Proper planting and maintenance of native trees, shrub, and herbaceous species in project areas
- Maintain edges of woodland and passive management areas throughout the growing season by mowing and weed whacking
- Conduct snow removal and other emergency response operations throughout the park as assigned
- Continues to learn more about natural ecosystems and their management whenever the opportunity arises
- Train, work with, and instruct volunteers, interns, and students in all above skill related responsibilities
- Enter, keep, and maintain records documenting work activities under supervision of NRC Seasonal Foreperson
- Maintain a positive work attitude by behaving and communicating in a cooperative manner with co-workers, supervisors, and the public
- Maintain all licenses necessary to carry out duties
- Performance of all other job-related tasks as assigned
- Either Bachelor’s degree or higher in Biology, Ecology, Forestry, Natural Resource Management, Fisheries related field or two years related field experience
- NYC DEC Pesticide Applicator’s License, or ability to obtain within 6 months
- Valid NYS Driver’s license
- Ability to perform heavy physical labor and a daily basis such as lifting, moving, and carrying heavy objects of 50lbs or more
- Ability to work in all weather conditions
- Strong verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and also as part of a team
- NYS Class B CDL License a plus
- Strong native and invasive plant identification skills a plus
The schedule is Monday – Friday, 7am to 3:30pm or as required by job. This is also a seasonal position and not a permanent one.
How to Apply:
- Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please, no phone calls. Although we appreciate your interest, we will only contact applicants we are considering for interview.
The Alliance is committed to creating an inclusive employee experience for all. Regardless of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, or if you’re parenting the next generation, we firmly believe that our work is at its best when everyone feels free to be their most authentic self