Seasonal Full-time Lead Gardener
Full-time Lead Gardener sought to lead a crew of three to four gardeners in New York City. Applicant must have experience working in New York City residential gardens with other gardeners. The maintenance service requires taking meticulous care of plants, garden spaces and our client’s properties as well as a professional demeanor when interacting with clients and their staff. The ability to spot and identify issues, come up with solutions and follow through is key to being a successful leader of the maintenance team. Our portfolio includes a wide variety of spaces from Manhattan penthouse terraces to Brooklyn gardens. Hilary Finn Gardens is a growing company providing landscape design, installation, and horticultural maintenance services. We are looking for employees who are excited about and love gardening. Come grow with us.
Location: New York City (mostly Manhattan & Brooklyn)
- Organize gardeners schedules and goals for each maintenance visit
- Ensure all necessary equipment and materials are available for each visit
- Communicate clear and concise instructions between gardeners, contractors(i.e. arborists, delivery company, etc), and clients
- Time management
- Plant Maintenance includes weeding, pruning trees, shrubs and perennials, deadheading, training vines, spotting disease or pests quickly.
- Gardens Maintenance includes cleaning surfaces and sweeping patios and sidewalks
- Ordering plants from nurseries and coordinating deliveries
- Planting and installation.
- Take concise notes and implementation of to-do lists
- At least five years of paid residential gardening experience in New York City
- Positive attitude, ability to be flexible and a willingness to be able to shift gears to accommodate the unexpected
- Ability to troubleshoot and solve problems
- Attention to detail and the big picture
- Ability to prioritize and work efficiently
- Excellent plant identification skills and knowledge of cultural needs for a variety of perennials, shrubs and trees used in ornamental horticulture
- Knowledge of common pests, diseases and beneficial insects
- Some formal training preferred
- Valid Driver’s License and comfort driving a cargo van required
- Knowledge of native NYC plants and container gardening
- Enthusiasm and interest in horticulture and urban gardening
- Strong and in good physical health
- Neat and tidy appearance
- Willingness to work in inclement weather
- Dependable, punctual, with an excellent work ethic
- References will be contacted
Compensation: Starting at $30 an hour commensurate with experience and professional training
Start Date: March
- Paid holidays depending on time worked
- We offer professional development and subsidize continuing education classes of our staff.
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Suggested but not required: images of applicant’s container plantings that demonstrate ability to compose and select plants