Seasonal Garden Assistant
We are seeking individuals with an interest in public horticulture to assist with gardening work during the 2019 growing season. Duties and responsibilities include assisting horticulture staff in the planting, cultivating, and care of trees, shrubs, flowers and other flora as well as leading a group of 5-6 student youth in these same tasks for 6 weeks in July and August.
- Preparing soil, planting, weeding and mulching.
- Fertilizing and watering.
- Pruning and grooming trees, shrubs and plants.
- Mowing Lawns.
- Operating and caring for hand and power gardening tools and equipment. Sharpening and general upkeep of grounds tools.
- Garden Assistants must be available to supervise teens as part of the City’s Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP) in July and August.
- Under the supervision of QBG horticulture staff, Garden Assistants will be expected to work with volunteers who may come to us as individuals or as part of a group.
Positions are available for up to 28 hours per week from mid-March through mid-October with possible extension into November and include some weekend work. A flexible schedule may be worked out to accommodate school or other needs.
- One year of experience and/or training in gardening work, including planting, cultivating, and caring for trees, plants, shrubs and lawns.
- A high school diploma or GED.
- A Motor Vehicle Driver’s License valid in the state of New York.
- Ability and willingness to work outside in all weather; work includes kneeling, bending, stooping, and reaching; ability to lift 50 pounds.
- Willingness to learn about use of tools and equipment.
- Good interpersonal skills; second language a plus.
- Experience working with youth and leading groups a plus.
Please apply through this online portal — Using the link here will let us know you came to us through Metro Hort.