Seasonal Garden Assistant
Love gardening, but don’t have the time or space at home? Does working outdoors sound great after being stuck inside for the last year? Want to work in a friendly and safe environment with a team of professional horticulturists who love to share their knowledge? Do you only have minimal knowledge, but a drive to learn more about horticulture in a truly incredible setting?
Look no further than Reeves-Reed Arboretum, a public arboretum and historic former estate located in Summit, New Jersey. We are seeking a Seasonal Garden Assistant to work 15-30 hours per week. Hours and days are flexible to suit your needs, within reason. Our staff is fully vaccinated and you will have the comfort of being as socially distanced as you see fit. Apply now to add this prestigious arboretum experience to your resume!
- Watering of new plantings and nursery stock
- Invasive removal
- Planting display beds and native ecosystem restoration
- Weeding, edging, and mulching flower beds
- Trail Maintenance and rebuilding
- Propagation of historic tree specimens
- Pond maintenance
- Ambassador of the Arboretum in a public setting
- Basic knowledge of plant material and horticulture techniques.
- Horticultural or Environmental education or certification will help demonstrate this basic knowledge, OR
- Current enrollment in classes related to these fields
- The ability to safely operate hand tools and power equipment, including line trimmers and backpack blowers.
- Ability to perform heavy, physical labor (lift 50 lbs.) in all weather conditions.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to work with volunteers and interact with the public.
- Strong communication skills.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Must be 18 or older.
- This is a temporary part-time position.
- 15-30 hours per week; some weekend days required.
- $12-$13.50 per hour depending upon experience ($2,500 cap).
Contact Name: Julieanne Frascinella