Seasonal Garden Assistant
(Paid Opportunities) Return to Paid Opportunities
Compensation: $18/Hourly Wage
Queens Botanical Garden is an urban oasis where people, plants and cultures are celebrated through inspiring gardens, innovative educational programs, and demonstrations of environmental stewardship.
The Horticulture Department seeks individuals with an interest in public horticulture to assist with gardening work during the 2023 growing season. Duties and responsibilities include assisting horticulture staff in the planting, cultivating, and care of trees, shrubs, flowers and other flora as well as leading a group of 5-6 student youth in these same tasks for 6 weeks in July and August.
This is a part-time seasonal position. Positions are available for up to 28 hours per week from mid-March through mid-October with possible extension into November and include some weekend work. A flexible schedule may be worked out to accommodate school or other needs.
This is a part-time seasonal position. Compensation is $18/hour.
For consideration, please submit your resume, cover letter, and any relevant documents via our Career Center.
If you encounter difficulties with uploading documents to the portal, please send via email to email@example.com.
Health & Safety: proof of full Covid-19 vaccination required for employment.
- Preparing soil, planting, weeding and mulching.
- Fertilizing and watering.
- Pruning and grooming trees, shrubs and plants.
- Mowing Lawns.
- Operating and caring for hand and power gardening tools and equipment. Sharpening and general upkeep of grounds tools.
- Garden Assistants must be available to supervise teens as part of the City’s Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP) in July and August.
- Under the supervision of QBG horticulture staff, Garden Assistants will be expected to work with volunteers who may come to us as individuals or as part of a group.
- One year of experience and/or training in gardening work, including planting, cultivating, and caring for trees, plants, shrubs and lawns.
- A high school diploma or GED.
- A Motor Vehicle Driver’s License valid in the state of New York.
- Ability and willingness to work outside in all weather; work includes kneeling, bending, stooping, and reaching; ability to lift 50 pounds.
- Willingness to learn about use of tools and equipment.
- Good interpersonal skills; second language a plus.
- Experience working with youth and leading groups a plus.
Queens Botanical Garden is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). The Garden does not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, age, disability (physical or mental), sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, parental status, marital status, political affiliation, gender expression, mental illness, socioeconomic status or background, neuro(a)typicality, physical appearance, predisposing genetic characteristic, immigration status, or any other legally protected status. Minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, please contact Human Resources via email firstname.lastname@example.org, phone 718-886-3800 x 203.
Queens Botanical Garden Society
Website: Apply Online