Start Date: Early March Compensation: $20/hr
Brooklyn Bridge Park is looking to hire Seasonal Gardeners for the 2020 season. Along with the rest of the Hort Team, they will be responsible for the daily horticultural management of Park landscapes. Ideal candidates are passionate about native plants, ecology, and public horticulture and excited to work in a diverse and productive team.
- Caring for thousands of newly planted trees, shrubs, perennials, and grasses
- Planting and transplanting herbaceous plants and small trees
- Understory tree and shrub pruning and maintenance
- Integrated Pest Management
- Maintenance of all essential equipment
- Weeding, brush clearing, and mulching
- Debris and trash removal
- Composting and compost facility maintenance
- Research and data collection as necessary
- Interacting with park patrons in a professional manner as a representative of BBP
- Leading volunteer groups and training long-term Zone Volunteers
- Provide support to other members of the Brooklyn Bridge Park Operations Staff on a variety of tasks from maintenance work to gardening
- Perform other duties as required in the scope of the job and as designated by Operations Management
Skills and Experience:
- One season of horticulture experience or degree in horticulture and/or related field
- Familiar with gardening practices including planting, weed ID, and irrigation
- Passionate about native plants, ecology, and public horticulture
- Experience with various landscape maintenance equipment
- Ability to perform heavy, physical labor (lift 40 lbs) on a daily basis in all weather conditions
- Previous experience in a facility maintenance and/or park setting
- Hardworking, energetic, self-motivated, and dedicated to the details
- Strong communication skills and basic computer knowledge
- Ability to work overtime, weekends, and holidays as needed
- Comfortable working independently or with a team and outside in a park-setting
- Bilingual preferred
- NYS valid drivers license
- You strive to be inclusive and collaborative. At BBP, we recognize that doing our best work means working together. We have each other’s back – and are helpful, humble and open.
- You are committed. At BBP, we approach our work with integrity, positivity, and pride. We are committed to the public, the park and each other.
- You are a problem-solver. At BBP, we prioritize learning, evolving and building creative solutions to ensure the Park remains a leader in sustainable green space for generations to come.
- You value people and the environment. At BBP, respect is important to us. We strive to trust each other, act with good intention and communicate with openness.
- This is a full-time, 40 hour per week, non-exempt position.
- Typical hours are 7AM-3:30PM but change with seasons.
- Applicants should be available to work one weekend day.
- This seasonal position usually runs from early March through the end of November.
- Seasonal Gardeners are eligible to participate in health benefits at BBP, receive PTO, are given uniforms and assigned all necessary tools.
Please submit resumes and cover letters to email@example.com
Use “SEASONAL GARDENER” as your subject line.
Brooklyn Bridge Park is an 85-acre,1.3-mile public space that stretches along the Brooklyn waterfront. Our mission is to connect people, nature, and the waterfront through inclusive, innovative, and sustainable management and design. Our vision is to contribute to a healthier, more livable city.
- We built an innovative funding model to ensure financial self-sufficiency and independence.
- We practice ecological horticulture to foster and integrate vibrant wildlife habitats in our urban environment.
- We ensure the park’s design provides an adaptable public space that is welcoming to all.
- We strive to recruit and retain a diverse workforce that represents the communities we serve.
Brooklyn Bridge Park provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.