Start Date: March 2, 2020 Compensation: $20.00/hr.
The Battery is one of New York City’s oldest public open spaces, located at the tip of Manhattan overlooking New York Harbor. The Battery Conservancy was created in 1994 to rebuild the Battery and Castle Clinton National Monument, in partnership with city, state, federal agencies, and private donors. The park features extensive perennial gardens designed by the Battery’s master horticultural planner Piet Oudolf, encompassing all of his different garden styles over the past decade. The Seasonal Gardener position is seasonal, full-time, non-exempt and reports to operations management.
- Work with horticulture team to care for extensive naturalistic herbaceous perennial gardens, trees, shrubs, bulbs,and turf.
- Perform routine maintenance including but limited to: watering, weeding, planting, pruning, propagating and transplanting of perennials and mulching.
- Serve as an ambassador of The Battery Conservancy, answering the park visitor’s questions about horticulture, history and design of the park, and general park information.
- Lead volunteer groups, both corporate and individual.
- Scout for pests and disease and create monitoring reports.
- Debris and trash removal. Storm and snow management as needed.
- Operate and properly maintain tools and equipment.
- Assist with major annual events
- Two or more years horticultural experience and/or related field.
- Degree or certificate in horticulture preferred.
- Ability to use and operate standard landscaping power and hand tools.
- Basic arboriculture skills.
- Able to work overtime, weekends and holidays as needed.
- Ability to work as part of a team or alone, in all weather conditions.
- Perform heavy physical work on a daily basis. Must be able to lift and carry 40 pounds.
- Good writing and research skills and experience with Word and Excel are a plus
Position Starts: March 2, 2020
Position Ends: October 30, 2020
Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Seasonal Gardener” in the subject. No phone calls, please. TBC is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all applicants.
The Battery Conservancy