Start Date: ASAP Compensation: $16 to $19
Reports to: Director or Horticulture
Uniformed: Yes Hours/Week: 40.0
Start Date & Term: Seasonal, up to 8 months from date of appointment
Background: The Trust is a public benefit corporation created by act of the New York State Legislature and a 501(c)(3) charitable organization. The mission of the Trust is to design, construct and maintain a prominent, and very heavily used, 4 mile long waterfront park on the west side of Manhattan. The Park includes landscaped public piers and display gardens, lawn areas, ecological planting zones, athletic fields, esplanades, docks, public sculptures and other special features. Approximately 75% of the Park has been constructed with a mix of State, City and Federal capital funding.
Job Description: The Seasonal Gardeners will perform all aspects of landscape and general park maintenance including the care of the park’s urban tree canopy, understory plantings, perennials, formal and naturalized gardens, lawns, and plantings of seasonal interest. The successful candidates have prior experience in gardening and/or landscaping, be capable of performing quality work, be punctual and have excellent attendance, adhere to agency uniform policy and work well with others. This is a not a permanent position.
Application Process: Interested applicants are to submit a resume and cover letter to Matthew Post, Senior Director of Horticulture & Maintenance at firstname.lastname@example.org
the subject line of the email. No phone calls please.
Specific Tasks & Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
Health Care: deadheading, mulching, dividing, planting, soil placement, etc.
- Maintain and oversee diverse plantings of trees, shrubs, perennials, annuals, grasses and bulbs.
- Perform seasonal gardening/landscaping work such as pruning, weeding, fertilizing,
- Observe tree and plant conditions and report maintenance needs to supervisor as necessary.
Care: dethatching, sod installation and associated clean up, etc.
- Perform seasonal landscaping work such as mowing, edging, trimming, aerating, topdressing, overseeding,
- Remove litter and other debris from plant beds and lawn areas.
- Keep pavements and adjoining surfaces clean.
- The Trust places the highest value on the safety of our staff, contractors, volunteers and the general public.
- Perform tasks safely and comply with requirements for use of proper personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Must safely operate tools, vehicles, and specialized equipment.
- Must be willing and able to work with volunteer groups and our weekly regular volunteers. This includes but is not limited to event setup/breakdown, oversight of volunteers during events and maintaining inventory of tools & equipment. Must engage volunteers with a positive attitude.
- Must be willing and able to perform duties of other divisions/positions as directed or required commensurate with need and incumbent’s level of skill.
Education & Experience:
- Candidates with experience, basic plant identification skills and general knowledge of turf care or degree in Horticulture, Turf grass Management, or other related field are preferred.
- Act in a professional manner at all times with other staff, outside contractors, vendors and park patrons.·
- A valid driver’s license with a clean history is preferred.
- Direct physical labor (lifting up to 50 pounds, bending, squatting, digging, etc.) is expected and seasonal gardeners must be willing and able to work in all weather conditions.
- Candidates should have an interest in learning and acquiring new skills.
Compensation & Schedule:
$15.00+ per hour depending upon experience, M-F 7:00AM to 3:30 PM (with one half-hour unpaid lunch), occasional weekend work and extra hours as needed. Overtime paid at 1.5X regular hourly rate. This is seasonal, temporary position.
Hudson River Park Trust
Contact Name: Human Resources