Start Date: August Compensation: 20/hr + benefits
BBP is looking to hire Seasonal Gardeners for the 2020 season. Along with the rest of the Hort Team, they will be responsible for the daily horticultural management of Park landscapes. Ideal candidates are passionate about native plants, ecology, and public horticulture and excited to work in a diverse and productive team.
- A Caring for thousands of newly planted trees, shrubs, perennials, and grasses
- Planting and transplanting herbaceous plants and small trees
- Understory tree and shrub pruning and maintenance
- Integrated Pest Management
- Maintenance of all essential equipment
- Weeding, brush clearing, and mulching
- Debris and trash removal
- Composting and compost facility maintenance
- Research and data collection as necessary
- Interacting with park patrons in a professional manner as a representative of BBP
- Leading volunteer groups and training long-term Zone Volunteers
- Provide support to other members of the Brooklyn Bridge Park Operations Staff on a variety of tasks from maintenance work to gardening
- Perform other duties as required in the scope of the job and as designated by Operations Management
- One season of horticulture experience or degree in horticulture and/or related field
- Familiar with gardening practices including planting, weed ID, and irrigation
- Passionate about native plants, ecology, and public horticulture
- Experience with various landscape maintenance equipment
- Ability to perform heavy, physical labor (lift 40 lbs) on a daily basis in all weather conditions
- Previous experience in a facility maintenance and/or park setting
- Hardworking, energetic, self-motivated, and dedicated to the details
- Strong communication skills and basic computer knowledge
- Ability to work overtime, weekends, and holidays as needed
- Comfortable working independently or with a team and outside in a park-setting
- Bilingual preferred
- NYS valid drivers license
- This is a full-time, 40 hour per week, non-exempt position.
- Typical hours are 7AM-3:30PM but change with seasons.
- Applicants should be available to work one weekend day.
- This seasonal position usually runs from August through the end of November.
- Seasonal Gardeners are eligible to participate in health benefits at BBP, receive PTO, are given uniforms and assigned all necessary tools.
- Please submit resumes and cover letters to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Use “SEASONAL GARDENER” as your subject line.
Brooklyn Bridge Park
Contact Name: Rebecca McMackin