Start Date: March Compensation: 20/hr + benefits
BBP is looking to hire Seasonal Gardeners for the 2021 season. Along with the rest of the Hort Team, they will be responsible for the daily horticultural management of Park landscapes. Ideal candidates are passionate about native plants, ecology, and public horticulture and excited to work in a diverse and productive team.
- Caring for thousands of newly planted trees, shrubs, perennials, and grasses
- Planting and transplanting herbaceous plants and small trees
- Understory tree and shrub pruning and maintenance
- Integrated Pest Management
- Maintenance of all essential equipment
- Weeding, brush clearing, and mulching
- Debris and trash removal
- Provide help with seasonal tasks, including snow removal
- Composting and compost facility maintenance
- Research, data collection, and horticultural database maintenance
- Interacting with park patrons in a professional manner as a representative of BBP
- Leading volunteer groups and training long-term Zone Volunteers
- Conducting educational workshops and tours for the public
- Provide support to other members of the Brooklyn Bridge Park Operations Staff on a variety of tasks from maintenance work to gardening
- Perform other duties as required in the scope of the job and as designated by Operations Management
- One season of horticulture experience or degree in horticulture and/or related field
- Familiar with gardening practices including planting, weed ID, and irrigation
- Passionate about native plants, ecology, and public horticulture
- Experience with various landscape maintenance equipment
- Ability to perform heavy, physical labor (lift 40 lbs) on a daily basis in all weather conditions
- Previous experience in a facility maintenance and/or park setting
- Hardworking, energetic, self-motivated, and dedicated to the details
- Strong communication skills and basic computer knowledge
- Ability to work overtime, weekends, and holidays as needed
- Comfortable working independently or with a team and outside in a park-setting
- NYS valid drivers license
This is a full-time, 40 hour per week, non-exempt position. Seasonal Gardeners are paid $20/hr and receive health benefits, holidays, and paid time off. Typical hours are 7AM-3:30PM, but change with seasons. Applicants should be available to work one weekend day. We are hoping to bring Seasonals on at the end of March, dependent on the COVID-19 pandemic.
In addition, we at BBP care deeply about health and safety of our staff, all of whom follow very strict COVID-19 related protocols. We expect any new hire to follow them as well. All new hires must be fully vaccinated.
Please submit resumes and cover letters to Rebecca McMackin email@example.com.
Use “SEASONAL GARDENER” as your subject line.
Brooklyn Bridge Park
Contact Name: Rebecca McMackin