Compensation: $19 TO $23 per hour
The Seasonal Gardener works with the Zone Gardener to care for and maintain the gardens and landscapes on Governors Island. The Seasonal Gardener is responsible for all aspects of monitoring and caring for the diverse gardens within the park and the Island's historic district. This position requires superior organizational, interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively as a team member in a fast-paced environment.
Salary Range: $19 to $23 per hour
Location and Schedule: All positions are located on Governors Island. The position is in-person (five-day work week).
ABOUT THE TRUST FOR GOVERNORS ISLAND
The Trust for Governors Island (The Trust) is a nonprofit corporation created by the City of New York. It is responsible for the redevelopment and operation of 150 acres of Governors Island. The Trust's mission is to realize the full potential of Governors Island, demonstrating a bold vision for public space. For more information, visit www.govisland.org.
- Care for diverse plantings of trees, shrubs, perennials, annuals, vines, and bulbs.
- Perform seasonal landscape work including planting, pruning, weeding, watering, raking, mulching, transplanting, soil mixing, clean-up, fence installation, leaf removal, and lawn and turf care.
- Hand-water and monitor irrigation systems, including inspections and repairs as needed.
- Remove trash and debris from the landscapes, report any unsafe conditions to facilities.
- Collect and document tree health and growth data and other plant related information.
- Load and unload plant material and horticulture supplies onto and from transportation vehicles.
- Maintain horticulture back-of-house, including care of plants in nursery and inventory and maintenance of tools and equipment.
- Work with corporate volunteer groups to address large horticultural projects.
Other responsibilities include:
- Actively promote and contribute to the Island’s sustainability initiatives, including coordination with on-Island program partners.
- Act as an ambassador for Governors Island, answering questions from park visitors about horticulture, park design and history and general information.
- Assist with training and support of horticulture volunteers.
- Degree/Certification in horticulture or related field preferred.
- Two or more years of horticultural experience with in-depth knowledge of plant culture, maintenance, and identification.
Skills and Abilities:
- Experience supervising volunteers.
- Ability to perform physical labor (lifting, bending, squatting, etc.) in all weather conditions.
- Strong interpersonal, communication (oral and written), organizational and problem-solving skills.
- High level of personal accountability, self-organization, autonomy, and discipline.
- Ability to work with people at all levels with an open and engaging personality.
- Ability to be flexible and make sound professional judgments.
- Ability to work overtime, weekends, and holidays, as needed.
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Office programs.
- Valid driver’s license.
Please send a cover letter and resume as a single PDF document to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Seasonal Gardener” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
All new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability. If you are offered employment with the Trust, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved by the Trust.
The Trust for Governors Island does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, genetic information, marital status, membership in an employee organization, military service, national origin, parental status, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including gender identity), sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, or other non-merit factor.