Seasonal Gardener, Part-time, Entry Level
Start Date: March 15, 2020
Gardens by Joan, LLC is a Brooklyn-based, boutique garden design, installation, and maintenance company specializing in the custom design and installation of the various garden spaces of New York City from brownstone backyards to rooftop gardens.
The Seasonal Gardener is an integral part of the Gardens by Joan team. Under the general supervision of the site supervision and owner, Joan McDonald, the seasonal gardener plays an important role in serving all contracted maintenance clients’ gardens during the growing season (March-December), as well as in more complex design/installation projects. Working on a team, the seasonal gardener’s responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Learn to perform all gardening maintenance tasks including soil preparation, planting, pruning, fertilizing, dividing, weeding, edging watering, deadheading, mulching, transplanting, organic pest and disease management, and organic debris removal.
- Provide excellent customer service by being courteous, friendly, and approachable.
- Light hardscaping such as the laying of bluestone pavers or garden edging.
- Clean and keep inventory of tools.
- Have a professional, positive attitude and be eager to learn new skills.
- Have excellent attendance and punctuality.
- Be able to follow directions and complete tasks in a timely manner.
- Be detail-oriented, reliable and responsible with a good work ethic and attitude.
- Be able to work with a team or independently.
- Presentable appearance, professional demeanor & communication with superiors, crew and clients.
- Be able to work outdoors in varied weather conditions (must own rain gear!) with sustained physical activity (able to lift 50 lbs. repeatedly).
- Have valid NYS driver’s license and know how to drive!
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Working knowledge of planting, pruning and garden maintenance.
- Interest in the environment, sustainability and the greening of NYC.
To apply: This position requires occasional weekend work and long hours during the height of the season but with a somewhat flexible schedule.
If interested, please submit your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only those whose applications are being considered will be contacted. Thank you!
Gardens by Joan
Contact Name: Joan McDonald