Seasonal Gardener (Queens)
(Paid Opportunities) Return to Paid Opportunities
Start Date: April 2023 Compensation: $20.79/hour
The City of New York/Parks & Recreation, Queens is looking for experienced gardeners with hands-on working experience designing, installing, and maintaining horticulture beds.
- Work alongside borough horticulture staff and support personnel including workfare participants in field operations including planting, pruning and removals, composting, lawn reseeding and landscape renovations.
- Possesses thorough working knowledge of woody and herbaceous plants, their culture, and usage in the urban landscape.
- Able to supervise and direct volunteers and seasonal workers.
- Operates and maintains power equipment like mowers, weed whackers and blowers.
- Designs new garden plans and renovates existing landscapes.
- Maintains and requisitions supplies.
- One year of full-time experience in gardening work, including experience in each of the following planting, cultivating and caring for trees, plants shrubs and lawns; or
- A certificate from a horticulture or botanic program containing college-level courses, such as programs offered by the New York Botanical Garden, the Brooklyn Botanical Garden or equivalent; or
- A satisfactory combination of education and/or experience that is equivalent to ʺ1ʺ above. Thirty semester credits from an accredited college, at least fifteen of which must be in horticulture, agriculture, agronomy, plant pathology, botany, landscape design or architecture, entomology, forestry, floriculture, plant production and/or crop management, may be substituted for the one year of the work experience described in ʺ1ʺ above.
City of New York/Parks & Recreation, Queens