Seasonal Greenspace Steward P/T
(Paid Opportunities) Return to Paid Opportunities
Start Date: April 1st Compensation: $22/hour
Newtown Creek Alliance (NCA) is a community based non-profit with the mission to Reveal, Restore, and Revitalize Newtown Creek, a Superfund waterway that borders Brooklyn and Queens. As part of our on the ground work, NCA oversees and manages various greenspaces, pollinator gardens, street-end access sites, and curbside rain gardens.
NCA is hiring a part-time Greenspace Steward that will be assisting our Horticulturalist with the maintenance, improvement and expansion of our various greenspaces and street-end areas. The Steward will also assist with volunteer programs that engage community members in the improvement of our waterway and it’s surrounding shoreline areas. The position will begin in April and run through the spring, summer and fall seasons.
Compensation and Schedule
- 20 hours/week; April through October 2023 – with the option to expand and/or extend based on performance and funding after October 2023.
- Activity schedule will revolve around volunteer programming, coordination with NCA staff, and weekly weather conditions. Room for flexibility, all scheduling will be agreed upon with your input after hiring.
- Opportunities to participate in additional NCA programs, professional development, and events based on organizational needs.
- The majority of the work will be done in person at NCA’s offices at the Kingsland Wildflowers Green Roof in Greenpoint, Brooklyn as well as outdoors at our various greenspace locations.
Newtown Creek Alliance is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. It is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, political orientation or any other characteristic protected by federal state or local law.
- Assist with weekly maintenance of curbside Rain Gardens and Street-End sites in both Brooklyn and Queens
- Attend and help run NCA’s volunteer programs and community cleanups, typically help on weekend days
- Assist with watering, inventory and maintenance of NCA’s native plant nursery and greenhouse
- Help manage and maintain NCA’s equipment, tools, and storage facilities at our offices
- Act as an ambassador for NCA, answering questions about our greenspaces as well as general information about our work and mission
- Document, report, and catalog in the field activities and proactively communicate with supervisor and other NCA staff
- Minimum 2 years experience working in landscaping, construction, gardening or similar fields
- Ability to perform physical tasks such as kneeling, crouching and regularly lifting/moving 40 lbs or more
- Experience in safely operating a variety of power tools and gardening related hand tools
- Detail-oriented, with considerable attention to order and cleanliness
- Ability to safely and efficiently traverse the industrial areas surrounding Newtown Creek
- Experience in commuting via bicycle or riding an e-bike is a plus
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions, sometimes for extended periods of time
- Must be a team player and willing to maintain positive engagement with the public, NCA colleagues and project partners
- Passion for environmental issues relating to NCA’s mission is a plus
- Experience with carpentry/construction skills is a plus
To Apply, Please Submit:
- 1. Cover letter (.pdf)
- 2. Resume (.pdf) with at least two references to Brenda@newtowncreekalliance.org with ‘Greenspace Steward Application’ in the subject line.
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis; early applications are encouraged. The deadline to apply is Friday March 3, 2023 (11:59pm).
Newtown Creek Alliance
Contact Name: Brenda Suchilt
Website: Apply Online