(Paid Opportunities) Return to Paid Opportunities
Start Date: May, 2023 Compensation: $22/hour
The Battery is one of New York City’s oldest public open spaces, located at the tip of Manhattan overlooking New York Harbor. The Battery Conservancy was created in 1994 to rebuild the Battery and Castle Clinton National Monument, in partnership with city, state and federal agencies and private donors. The park features perennial gardens designed by the Battery's master horticultural planner Piet Oudolf, encompassing all of his different garden styles over the past decade.
- Clean all path of plant debris, trash and litter on a daily basis
- Empty trash cans and replace bags in designated areas, bring full bags to the trash collection area
- Maintain the highest standards of cleanliness and attention to detail of all pathways, lawns, gardens, and park features such as benches, drinking fountains, etc.
- Provide seasonal grounds duties: soil replacement, leaf raking, snow and ice removal, etc
- Assist horticulture staff and volunteers in planting, weeding, watering and basic horticultural care of gardens and lawns as directed
- Work closely with operation staff during snow emergencies and during special events
- Provide general assistance to Conservancy staff as need it
- Work well with a team or alone and in all weather conditions
- Ability to use and operate standard landscaping power and hand tools
- Perform heavy physical labor on a daily basis
- Must be able to lift and carry 40 lbs.
- Driver license preferred
- full-time; non-exempt
- 5 days per week; 40 hours per week; schedule includes one weekend day
- hours generally 9am-5pm. Flexible and subject to change with daylight hours
- benefits included: commuter benefits and 40 hours of paid sick time per year
- Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com with ”Seasonal
- Groundskeeper” in the subject. No phone calls please.
- All candidates must submit proof of full vaccination prior to their first day. If a candidate is unable to submit proof of full vaccination they will not be considered for employment
The Battery Conservancy