(Paid Opportunities) Return to Paid Opportunities
Compensation: $20-$23 an hour
Title: Seasonal Horticulturist (2)
Job Type: Full-time; Seasonal; 40 hours per week; weekends and overtime when required; Non-Exempt
Pay Range: $20.00 – $23.00/hour
Duration: March 14 - November 19, 2022
Work Location: Randall’s Island Park, New York, NY 10035
The Seasonal Horticulturist will report to the Director of Grounds and the Horticulture Manager. The Seasonal Horticulturist will work with other members of the Horticulture crew to maintain existing gardens and green streets at Randall’s Island Park. The Seasonal Horticulturist will be required to work on-site and primarily outdoors. This position will work closely with and take occasional direction from year-round Horticulturists on assigned gardens and tasks. The Seasonal Horticulturist will also assist with special events, volunteer events and programming tours, as needed and will be dedicated to applying sustainable horticulture practices to benefit our park patrons and neighboring communities.
- Work with the Randall’s Island Horticulture crew to assist in horticultural activities and general maintenance work, including soil cultivation, digging, mulching, watering, raking, weeding, edging, pruning, seed sowing, bed preparation, planting, and caring for existing gardens.
- Knowledge of plants, their cultural requirements, and their botanical nomenclature, including protection and transplanting of existing plants, soil preparation, planting, irrigation, etc.
- Hand water and monitor irrigation of plantings, especially during time of establishment and drought.
- Operate hand tools and basic power machinery, including hedge trimmers, weed whackers, and leaf blowers.
- Ensure all equipment is secured and well-maintained.
- Assist with special events, volunteer events and educational activities, as needed.
- General clean-up of garden beds and paths, clean-up litter.
- Assist other departments, when needed.
- Perform other general tasks as assigned.
This job description is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all job functions that an employee in this position may be asked to perform from time to time.
- Strong gardening skills and familiarity with gardening tools
- Strong interest in horticulture and the environment
- Willing to work outdoors in all types of weather, under strenuous conditions
- Willing and able to learn how to maintain and create containers for visual display
- Ability to perform physical labor; must be able to lift up to 50lbs
- Ability to collaborate and create positive working relationships
- Ability to shift priorities and focus, when needed
- Motivated and punctual, able to work both independently and as part of a team
- Detail-oriented, with considerable attention to order and cleanliness throughout the park
- Flexibility to work overtime and weekends
- Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination
- B.A. in Public Horticulture, Agriculture or related fields OR equivalent horticulture certificate/coursework OR 3 years hands-on experience in horticulture
- Experience working in public parks and knowledge of landscaping techniques
- Knowledge of composting, integrate pest management (IPM), propagation, and basic carpentry skills
- Ability to use light power equipment and hand tools
- Experience working with volunteers
- Good communication skills
- Pesticide license
- Valid Driver License
The Randall’s Island Park Alliance, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we believe in a diverse and an inclusive workplace and environment.
RIPA maintains confidentiality of all applications and therefore will never contact a present employer without prior consent from the applicant.
Randall's Island Park Alliance
Website: Apply Online