(Paid Opportunities) Return to Paid Opportunities
Start Date: 04/10/2023 Compensation: $17-19/hr
The Alliance for Downtown New York manages the Downtown-Lower Manhattan Business Improvement District (BID) serving an area roughly from City Hall to the Battery, from the East River to West Street. We provide a host of services, including supplemental sanitation and security, economic development, streetscape and transportation improvements, marketing and enhanced tourist services. The mission of the Alliance for Downtown New York is to provide service, advocacy, research and information to advance Lower Manhattan as a global model of a 21st century Central Business District for businesses, residents and visitors. As part of its supplemental services, the Alliance maintains planted areas across nine public spaces in Lower Manhattan.
The Alliance for Downtown New York seeks applicants for the full-time position of Seasonal Gardener. Reporting to the District Landscape Manager this position will be responsible for maintaining horticulture operations across public plazas and parks, which includes caring for planted areas and over 140 planters, as well as upholding the quality of our public spaces.
- Remove litter and other debris from plant beds and lawn areas.
- Maintain plantings of trees, shrubs, perennials, annuals, and grasses..
- Perform seasonal gardening/landscaping work such as planting, pruning, weeding, watering, fertilizing, deadheading, mulching, dividing, soil placement, pest management, etc
- Ensure planters and signage throughout the BID are maintained. Reporting any problems to the supervisor.
- Perform seasonal turf management work such as mowing, trimming, aerating, topdressing, overseeding, dethatching, and associated clean up.
- Seasonal Gardeners are expected to work outside in all weather conditions.
- Ensure all tools are clean, organized and stored safely in our garage facility .
- Ability to communicate with a diverse set of people, including supervisory and maintenance staff, contractors, BID constituents and city agencies (NYC PARKS, NYC DOT)
- Act in a professional manner at all times with other staff, and outside contractors.
- Candidates must be vaccinated for Covid and show proof of vaccination prior to hire.
- Must be able to follow directions and work independently
- Punctual, energetic, organized, with an excellent work ethic
- A valid driver’s license with a clean history is preferred. Candidates must agree to undergo a background check
- Efficient in time management, often working on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Direct physical labor (lifting up to 50 pounds, bending, squatting, digging, etc.) is expected
- Knowledge of and ability to operate hand mowers, leaf blowers, and other lawn equipment
- Basic knowledge of gardening techniques. Interest in learning new things.
Send your resume and cover letter to: JBetters@downtownny.com
Alliance for Downtown NY
Contact Name: John Betters