Seasonal Horticulturist (Part Time)
Start Date: May 1, 2023 Compensation: $20-$22.50/hour
The Mountain Top Arboretum is located in the northern Catskill Mountains of New York at 2,400 feet elevation in an area with a rich artistic history and a vibrant year round music, arts, and food scene. The Arboretum was established in 1977 and comprises botanical displays of native and non-native curated plant collections and natural areas covering 178 acres. Of special mention are its Catskill native plantings surrounding the new Education Center, rain gardens, woodland walk, hedgerow display, spiral labyrinth, bird cove, and northern hardwood/conifer forest surrounding a mountain top wetland. The site is at the northern end of the New York City watershed requiring special attention to ecological practices. The Arboretum presents public programs throughout the year, using its new timber frame Education Center for indoor programming.
The Arboretum seeks to hire a part-time seasonal Horticulturist reporting to the Executive Director. The employee will work in all aspects of plant care throughout the property with a particular focus on the detailed maintenance of the Arboretum’s displays and natural areas. The qualified candidate is passionate about plants and nomenclature, has a discerning eye, a strong work ethic, enjoys interacting with the public and would like an opportunity to gain broad experience in a small but high quality organization.
- Perform garden maintenance such as pruning, planting, mulching, watering and weeding.
- Monitor for pests, invasive species and diseases and apply repellents and fertilizers.
- Engage with visitors about plants and work being performed.
- Assist with events and volunteer programs.
- Assist with the maintenance of buildings and facilities including restroom provisioning and opening and closing of Education Center and Maintenance Barn.
- Such other duties consistent with carrying out the mission of the Arboretum.
- Degree or certification in horticulture or related field.
- Experience in public garden or estate horticulture maintenance.
- Knowledge of plant identification, health and culture.
- Able to identify pests, garden weeds, invasive species and diseases and implement IPM strategies.
- Able to work independently and take responsibility for plan execution.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and social media.
- Must be able to lift and move 50 lb. objects.
- Have valid driver’s license and ability to operate small tractor and weed eater.
Please Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of employees assigned to this position.
Interested applicants should send a resume to Marc Wolf, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Arboretum is an equal opportunity employer. This is a part-time seasonal position, up to four days/week, approx. May 1 - October 15, 2023.
Mountain Top Arboretum
Contact Name: Marc Wolf