Seasonal P/T Assistant Gardener
About Pioneer Works and the garden - Pioneer Works is an admission-free cultural center in Brooklyn, New York dedicated to experimentation, education, and production across the disciplines of art, science, music, and technology. Pioneer Works builds community through the arts and sciences to create an open and inspired world. The garden at Pioneer Works is a ½ acre ecological landscape built on top of an old parking lot. Today, it is home to over 150 species of plants, shrubs and trees, some of which are indigenous to the tidal wetlands landscape that once stood in their place and throughout the edges of Red Hook. Birds, butterflies, bees and other local pollinators take up residence in the space throughout the seasons, aiding in and thriving as part of the regenerative ecosystem. The garden features a series of spring ephemerals, a burgeoning stand of fruit-bearing trees, annual and perennial vegetables and many medicinal and culinary herbs. The edges and low-lying areas of the landscape have been cultivated as a salt barrier and sponge, acknowledging the garden’s proximity to the New York Harbor as well as imminent sea-level rise (during Hurricane Sandy in 2012, the garden was inundated with over 5 feet of water). The space is also home to site-specific plant-based installations, as well as a recording studio and a ceramics studio.
The position -The Assistant Gardener will work alongside the Manager of Sustainability & Environmental Engagement to assist in planting and maintaining the horticultural landscape. The Assistant Gardener will work independently, and as part of a team to achieve daily goals in landscape maintenance. We’re looking for someone who is detail oriented, interested in food and urban farming, and has some experience maintaining a garden or farm.
- Assisting in the physical maintenance of the garden including planting, watering, pruning, weeding, mulching and mowing
- Engaging with the public during open garden hours; 12-6PM, Wednesday - Friday
- Assisting to cultivate a small perennial food garden, helping to develop educational signage and public engagement materials
- Interested in organic gardening and farming techniques, including identifying common plants and weeds in urban landscapes, and willing to learn
- Experienced with problem solving and can work independently as well as collaboratively
- Able to stand, crouch, kneel and bend for long periods doing activities like digging, raking and carrying heavy objects (25lbs+) outdoors, in all kinds of weather
- Passionate about the arts and sciences!
This a part-time, seasonal position, with a flexible schedule and up to 20 hrs/week. Compensation is $25/hr.
To apply; please email a statement of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pioneer Works is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce, one that reflects the varied global community we serve. Pioneer Works is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual’s sex, age, race, color, creed, national origin, alienage, religion, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation or affectional preference, gender identity and expression, disability, genetic trait or predisposition, carrier status, citizenship, veteran or military status and other personal characteristics protected by law. All applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to legally protected characteristics.
Contact Name: Marisa Prefer