Seasonal Park Stewardship Assistant
(Paid Opportunities) Return to Paid Opportunities
Start Date: March 27, 2023 Compensation: $20.00/hr.
NYRP improves, maintains, and programs open spaces in communities lacking adequate resources. Working on public and private land citywide, NYRP’s flexible approach to land management serves as a model for non-profit municipal engagement. Together with partners in city agencies, non-profit organizations, and local communities, NYRP demonstrates the social and environmental value of building ownership over open spaces.
The Park Stewardship Assistant supports the general maintenance and horticulture of parkland in Northern Manhattan, including Sherman Creek Park, Highbridge Park, and the Harlem River Greenway. The Park Stewardship Assistant works in a variety of landscapes including forest, wetlands, gardens, and a small urban farm. The Park Stewardship Assistant will join an experienced operations team that works toward a more equitable and sustainable urban landscape, through park maintenance, restoration, and public engagement. Ideal candidates will demonstrate a strong work ethic, an interest in ecological management practices, comfort interacting with the public and enthusiasm for NYRP’s mission.
- Garden maintenance;
- Litter removal;
- Clearing and edging paths;
- Invasive plant management;
- Cleaning and maintenance of park infrastructure, including restrooms;
- Interact with staff and the public in a courteous manner;
- Lead groups of volunteers;
- Demonstrate efficiencies in time management and project completion;
- Assist in executing greening projects throughout the city.
- Minimum of 1 year of experience gardening or landscaping;
- COVID vaccination is required to be considered for the position;
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions and lift 50-lbs;
- Must be a team-player, willing to collaborate on any and all tasks required for maintaining the highest standards of landscape management and operations.
- 2 or more years gardening or landscaping experience;
- Horticultural training and basic understanding of compost operation;
- Driver’s license and Spanish language ability
Industry: Not‐for‐Profit – Environmental
Reports to: Highbridge Park Crew Leader
Start date: March 27th, 2023
End Date: November 1st, 2023
Available Schedule: Full-Time Schedule/4-day work week: Sunday to Wednesday, 9:30 am to 7:30 pm from March 27th to August 30th; Sunday to Wednesday, 8:30 am to 6:30 pm from September 3rd to November 1st
Reporting Location: Sherman Creek Center, 3725 10th Avenue, New York, NY 10034
Interested individuals are encouraged to send a cover letter and resume by email to HR@nyrp.org or standard mail to 254 W. 31st Street, 10th Floor, New York, NY 10001.
NYRP is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
New York Restoration Project