Seasonal Turf Groundskeeper
Start Date: March 2, 2020 Compensation: $20.00/hr
The Battery is one of New York City’s oldest public open spaces, located at the tip of Manhattan overlooking New York Harbor. The Battery Conservancy was created in 1994 to rebuild the Battery and Castle Clinton National Monument, in partnership with city, state, federal agencies, and private donors. The park features extensive perennial gardens designed by the Battery’s master horticultural planner Piet Oudolf, encompassing all of his different garden styles over the past decade. The Seasonal Turf Groundskeeper position is a seasonal full-time, non-exempt and reports to operations management.
- Work with Operations team to manage turf throughout the park including: maintenance planning, mowing, line trimming, aerating, fertilizing, seeding, sodding, etc.
- Clean all paths of plant debris, trash, and litter on a daily basis.
- Provide seasonal grounds duties: soil replacement, leaf raking, snow and ice removal,etc.
- Maintain the highest standards of cleanliness and attention to detail of all gardens and park features such as benches, drinking fountains, etc.
- Work closely with Operations staff during snow emergencies and during special events.
- Assist Horticulture staff and volunteers in planting, weeding, watering, and basic horticultural care of gardens and lawns as directed.
- Provide general assistance to Conservancy staff as needed.
- Minimum 1 year of professional landscaping ﬁeld experience specifically with turf.
- Work well in a team or alone and in all weather conditions.
- Ability to use and operate standard landscaping power and hand tools.
- Perform heavy physical labor on a daily basis. Must be able to lift and carry 40 lbs.
- Driver’s license preferred.
Schedule: Sunday to Thursday OR Tuesday – Saturday, 8 hours per day Hours shift throughout the season. Earlier shift in the early spring and late fall, afternoon/evening shift in the summer
Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Seasonal Turf Groundskeeper” in the subject.
Please include details of availability in your cover letter. No phone calls, please.
The Battery Conservancy