Seasonal Urban Farmer & Educator
Title: Seasonal Urban Farmer & Educator (2)
Job Type: Full-Time, Seasonal; 40 hours per week; weekends required; overtime when required; Non-Exempt
Salary Range: $20.00 - $23.00 / hour
Duration: March 14 - November 19, 2022
Work Location: Randall’s Island Park, New York, NY 10035
The Seasonal Urban Farmer & Educator will report to the Urban Farm Manager and will work closely with and take occasional direction from the year-round Urban Farmer & Educator. The Seasonal Urban Farmer & Educator will work with other members of the Urban Farm department to maintain and program the Randall’s Island Urban Farm. The Seasonal Urban Farmer & Educator will be required to work on-site, primarily outdoors and on weekends.
- Work with the Urban Farm Manager to assist with planting, preparation, and maintenance of the Urban Farm including: soil cultivation, digging, mulching, watering, raking, weeding, edging, pruning, seed sowing, trellising, planting, and composting.
- Assist with all educational activities held on the Urban Farm including preparation of the farm for student visits, lesson planning, creation of educational materials, and scheduling volunteer and student visits.
- Assist the Urban Farm Manager with record keeping of harvest yields, disease, and pest control efforts.
- Assist the Urban Farm Manager to care for a flock of chickens, including watering and feeding.
- Support the Communications department by providing content for social media posts, when needed.
- Welcome all guests by answering questions and giving tours to elected officials, donors, media coverage, senior and junior staff members, community members, park patrons etc.
- Assist other departments, when needed.
- Ensure all equipment is secured and well-maintained.
- Perform other general tasks as assigned.
This job description is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all job functions that an employee in this position may be asked to perform from time to time.
- Familiar with organic and sustainable farm practices
- Strong gardening skills and familiarity with gardening tools
- Willing to work outdoors in all types of weather, under strenuous conditions
- Ability to perform physical labor; must be able to lift up to 50lbs
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to articulate and advocate for RIPA’s mission
- Ability to collaborate and build positive working relationships
- Good planning, organizational and time management skills as well as strong attention to detail
- Motivated and punctual, able to work both independently and as part of a team
- Experience with educational children’s programming
- Ability to shift priorities and focus, when needed.
- Flexibility to work overtime and weekends
- Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination
- Coursework in introductory biology, ecology, or related field
- Experience with crop planning and farm record software, a plus.
- Ability to use light power equipment and hand tools
- An awareness and passion for health, nutrition, and food justice issues
- Detail-oriented, with considerable attention to order and cleanliness throughout the park
- Fluent in Spanish
- Valid Driver License (occasionally assist with food drop-offs and supply pick-ups off-Island)
The Randall’s Island Park Alliance, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and believes in a diverse and an inclusive workspace and environment. RIPA maintains confidentiality of all applications and therefore will never contact a present employer without prior consent from the applicant.
Randall's Island Park Alliance, Inc.
Website: Apply Online