Seasonal Urban Farmer & Educator
Compensation: $23.50 per hour
Job: Seasonal Urban Farmer & Educator (2)
Department: Urban Farm
Job Type: Full-Time; Seasonal; 40 hours per week; weekends required; overtime when required; Non-Exempt
Pay Rate: $23.50/hour (First Year)
Benefits: Health insurance, paid time off, free parking on site
Duration: March 14 – November 19, 2022
Work Location: Randall’s Island Park, New York, NY 10035
The Seasonal Urban Farmer & Educator will report to the Director of Environmental Programming and the Urban Farm Manager, taking occasional direction from the year-round Urban Farmer & Educator. The Seasonal Urban Farmer & Educator will work with other members of the Urban Farm department to maintain and program the Randall’s Island Urban Farm. The Seasonal Urban Farmer & Educator will be required to work on-site, primarily outdoors and on weekends.
- Work with the Urban Farm Manager to assist with planting, preparation, and maintenance of the Urban Farm including, soil cultivation, digging, mulching, watering, raking, weeding, edging, pruning, seed sowing, trellising, planting, and composting.
- Assist with all educational activities held on the Urban Farm including preparation of the farm for student visits, field trip facilitation, and creation of educational materials.
- Maintain records of harvest yields, visitors, and pest and disease control efforts
- Support the Communications department by providing content for social media posts, when needed.
- Welcome all guests by answering questions and giving tours to elected officials, donors, media coverage, senior and junior staff members, community members, park patrons etc.
- Assist other departments, when needed.
- Ensure all equipment is secured and well-maintained.
- Perform other general tasks as assigned.
This job description is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all job functions that an employee in this position may be asked to perform from time to time.
- Familiar with organic and sustainable farm practices
- Strong gardening skills and familiarity with gardening tools
- Willing to work outdoors in all types of weather, under strenuous conditions
- Ability to perform physical labor; must be able to lift up to 50lbs
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to articulate and advocate for RIPA’s mission
- Ability to collaborate and create positive working relationships
- Good planning, organizational and time management skills as well as strong attention to detail
- Motivated and punctual, able to work both independently and as part of a team
- Experience with educational children’s programming
- Ability to work overtime, evenings, and weekends, when needed
- Ability to shift priorities and focus, when needed
- Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination
- Coursework in introductory biology, ecology, or related field
- Experience with crop planning and farm record software, a plus
- Ability to use light power equipment and hand tools
- Experience working with and leading volunteers
- An awareness and passion for health, nutrition, and food justice issues
- Detail-oriented, with considerable attention to order and cleanliness throughout the park
- Fluent in Spanish
- Valid Driver License (occasionally assist with food drop-offs and supply pick-ups off-Island)
Randall's Island Park Alliance
Website: Apply Online