Compensation: $90K - $100K
Title: Senior Designer
The mission of Forestry, Horticulture and Natural Resources (FHNR) is to protect, restore, expand and manage New York City’s natural spaces and green infrastructure to maximize their benefits and promote their value within and outside of the urban ecosystem. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. www.nyc.gov/parks.
Under direction, with very great latitude for the exercise of independent judgment or action, serve as Senior Landscape Architect on projects of great design and technical complexity which have the potential to impact Agency Landscape Architectural operations and/or City infrastructure.
Assign, supervise and review design and contract preparation performed by subordinate Landscape Architects on green infrastructure, ecological restoration and other and Forestry, Horticulture and Natural Resources capital projects.
Prepare original proposals and reports of a complex nature.
Provide assistance and support to both superiors and subordinates, with regard to complex and major landscape architectural matters. Conduct or direct significant portion of research on very complex and important landscape architectural matters.
Present design plans to Deputy and Borough Commissioners, work with Capital Chiefs of Design and Construction, and
provide information and solve design related problems.
A valid New York State Registration as a Landscape Architect, and either:
1. A Master’s degree in landscape architecture from an accredited college or university, accredited by regional, national, professional or specialized agencies
recognized as accrediting bodies by the U.S. Secretary of Education and by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) and three (3) years of
full-time, satisfactory experience in landscape architectural work; or
2. Four (4) years of full-time, satisfactory experience in landscape architectural work.
NOTE: Current New York State Registration as a Landscape Architect must be maintained for the duration of
NOTE: Landscape Architects with out-of-state registration are welcome to apply provided that
reciprocal New York State registration is obtained prior to hire.
NOTE: To be eligible for placement in Assignment Level II and III, individuals must have at least one year within the last three years of experience as a major contributor or a
project leader on a complex project requiring additional and specific expertise in the disciplines needed to design or construct the project.
This position is exempt from NYC residency requirements.
- 1. At least 3 years’ experience in managing process, projects, contracts and designstaff.
- 2. Experience with interdisciplinary
- coordination during design (Architecture, Engineering, Planning, etc.).
- 3. Knowledge of any/all of the following specialized disciplines: green infrastructure, sustainable design,
- ecological restoration, urban forestry, horticulture, urban design, ADA /universal design concepts.
- 4. Computer literacy, including knowledge of Word, Excel, Adobe CS4, Access, CAD and GIS.
- 5. A commitment to teamwork and an integrated approach to project delivery.
- 6. Driver license valid in New York State.
Salary: $90K - $100K plus excellent benefits
Apply by 06/14/19
For external applicants, please apply through www.nyc.gov/careers
1) Go to www.nyc.gov/careers/search
2) Search for Job ID#: 395272
For details about NYC Parks: www.nyc.gov/parks
NYC Parks & Recreation!!