Senior Gardener - Part-Time / Independent Contractor
Compensation: $40hr (minimum)
Matthew Placek Inc. is a boutique Landscape Design-Build-Maintenance group specializing in residential rooftops, terraces, and townhouse gardens throughout New York City. Starting out of a personal love for horticulture, Matthew Placek expanded to serve high-end & notable clients across Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Queens with an intimate team of gardeners and an unwavering eye for detail. Now a group of artists, designers, and horticulturists who create & maintain flourishing gardens with an understanding of native ecology, design, function, and client demands with the intention to provide a unique approach to urban gardening from an artist’s perspective.
We are seeking Senior Gardeners to join our team and work alongside Matthew Placek. Senior Gardeners are responsible for guiding and implementing horticultural maintenance and seasonal tasks in collaboration with their partner or team of gardeners. We seek Senior Gardeners with urban horticulture, landscape design and team management experience. This work often boils down to glorified outdoor housekeeping. Applicants must be open and have some sense of joy in cleaning as well as caring for plants. We hire senior gardeners as independent contractors starting at $40/hr or based on experience.
- Direct a diverse rotating gardening crew towards the accomplishment of garden service tasks
- Train crew as needed on horticulture skills needed to maintain a garden such as planting, transplanting, pruning, and maintaining healthy trees and shrubs
- Utilize knowledge of the cultural and maintenance needs of ornamental trees, shrubs, perennials, and annuals
- Oversee maintenance of garden hardscapes and systems, including irrigation and lighting
- Use composition, balance, color, and design in planning and planting seasonal garden transitions
- Apply knowledge of plant nutrition, IPM, and disease in treating and maintaining the health of plants
- Maintain the design intent and presentation established for each garden
- Comply with office workflow in a timely manner (i.e., timesheets, work orders, etc.)
- Pick up supplies as needed, choose plants that suit the client’s needs and the company’s unique aesthetic
- Drive supplies to location and load-in with crew support.
- Drive to Long Island Nurseries, select and purchase plants
- Experience with gardening in NYC spaces.
- Experience working with high-end/notable clientele
- Experience communicating with clients about their gardening desires/needs and effective communication with team members to work collaboratively and efficiently on projects.
- Ability to carry a load of 50 lbs. up and down a flight of stairs
- Ability to survey a site and choose plants to suit the site and the client’s needs.
- Knowledge of landscape design/rendering software
- Valid driver's license required.
- Access to a vehicle is a plus.
Submit a cover letter and resume to Matthew Placek at firstname.lastname@example.org Applicants will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Applications received by November 7th 2022 will be prioritized.
Matthew Placek Inc.
Contact Name: Matthew Placek