Senior Horticulture Manager
(Paid Opportunities) Return to Paid Opportunities
The Horticultural Society of New York is seeking an energetic and dedicated Senior Horticulture Manager to oversee garden maintenance and projects across the city. This position will manage projects from start to finish, including developing proposals, designs, and ensuring successful completion of projects in the field, working with our multiple teams to plant and maintain green spaces throughout the city.
The mission of the Horticultural Society of New York is to improve human life through horticulture. We improve social infrastructure by creating green spaces in all neighborhoods, train people for jobs that grow and sustain green communities, and develop fresh approaches to improve New Yorkers’ health, well-being, and environment through horticulture.
- Help to coordinate the logistics for several field crews performing horticultural maintenance and installations
- Communicating the scope of work to teams and providing regular guidance
- Provide regular oversight of projects
- Work with partners and contractors and other departments at The Hort to assure that work is coordinated with deliveries, contractors, and community partners
- Establishing and maintaining vendor relationships
- Collaboratively develop procedures to accommodate growth in The Hort’s services
- Troubleshoot logistical challenges and general conflicts as they arise
- Managing in the field 2-3 days per week to ensure completion of Hort services
- Representing The Hort to clients, partners, and the public
- Driving vehicles
- Ensuring that vehicles are kept organized and serviced as needed
- Responsible for taking care of inventory of tools, supplies, and uniforms
- Coordinate with the Director of Horticulture to order appropriate tools and supplies when necessary
- Assist with horticultural and landscape projects’ logistics
- send team schedules
- provide input/feedback on logical improvements
- Survey condition of sites
- document status of job site
- communicate improvements needed or issues
- Take photos of all sites to document progress and for social media or promotion use
- In collaborative with the Senior Director of Horticulture and the Director of Horticulture, put together contract proposals for prospective clients.
- Communicate with clients on site to assure tasks are completed as needed to the client’s satisfaction.
- Create landscape designs for existing contracts and contract proposals
- Receipts, timesheets, and other relevant paperwork as necessary
- Improve and create sustainability practices/initiatives
- Assist with communication to partner organizations
- Help with outreach
- Attend meetings to further relationships with the Hort’s workforce development program.
- Help with administrative tasks such as timesheets and agreements with partner organizations
- 5 or more years of hands-on experience designing, building, and maintaining urban green spaces or gardens
- At least 2 years experience supervising staff
- 4-year degree in Horticulture, Landscape Architecture, or related field, or equivalent experience
- Knowledge of green infrastructure design and implementation
- Landscape design knowledge and experience
- AutoCAD experience preferred but not required
- Excellent communications skills, including ability to take initiative and perform follow-up
- Excellent computer skills
- Valid NYS Driver's License and clean driving record
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple projects at once
- All employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to their start date
- • Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds at a time
- Must be able to squat, lift, stretch, bend, and stand for extended periods of time.
- Able to sit and use a computer for extended periods of time.
- Ability to perform physical labor outside in various weather conditions
Benefits The Hort offers all Full-Time regular employees a generous Paid Time Off package, termed Life Insurance Policy and Employee Assistance Program. Pre-tax benefits include transit, Flexible Spending Account, medical, dental, and vision insurance.
- Rate: $66,000-$75,000
- Employment Classification: Full-Time Regular
- Reports To: Director of Horticulture
How to Apply
To be considered please email a thoughtful cover letter, resume, and two references to email@example.com with ‘Horticulture Field Manager’ in the subject line. No phone calls.
The Hort is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. It is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, political orientation or any other characteristic protected by federal state or local law. We provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities to enable them to perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations are also available for these individuals during the hiring process. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org should you require a reasonable accommodation during the hiring process.
The Horticultural Society of New York