Start Date: 2/1/2023 Compensation: 50,000-58,000
The Ecology Center seeks someone who is deeply motivated to inspire environmental stewardship and volunteerism within people of all ages and skills. The stewardship coordinator will be responsible for organizing and carrying out stewardship activities such as: gardening, creation of green infrastructure, wildlife habitat restoration, and street tree care. This person will also be responsible for launching our new Horticulture Workforce Training Program that introduces youth to sustainable horticultural practices. The Stewardship Coordinator must be committed to environmental justice and be comfortable interacting with a wide-range of individuals from a variety of social, ethnic and organizational backgrounds.
- Collaborate with leadership to guide the direction and vision for the environmental stewardship program
- Plan for and carry out environmental stewardship activities for groups of all ages and skills and varying in size from 5-100 participants. This includes overseeing communication with groups, acting as day-of point person/leader, demonstrating horticultural practices, organizing tools, track attendance, and ensuring safety.
- Work with staff to launch the Horticulture Workforce Training Program. This includes planning tasks such as: developing curriculum and coordinating with program partners.
- Conduct Horticulture Workforce Training Program in spring 2023. This includes responsibilities such as: onboarding trainees, conducting training days, and acting as a mentor to the trainees.
- Coordinate specific stewardship activities with Ecology Center staff, local park managers, community groups
- Respond to general volunteer inquiries and serve as a main point of contact for those interested in volunteering.
- Develop and foster relationships with community partners and serve as a representative of the Ecology Center in the local neighborhood and within the broader NYC environmental stewardship community.
- Work with Development team to plan and secure funding for stewardship related projects and programs
- Track participation and programmatic data and write program reports as needed
- Assist with other Ecology Center programs and activities as needed
- Continuous development of knowledge and skills in volunteer management through webinars and workshops
- Minimum of one year work experience related to environmental stewardship coordination or similar work.
- Strong familiarity with urban horticulture or gardening practices and working knowledge of NYC native plants and common weeds.
- Team player that is self-directed with a can-do attitude, organized, and able to manage multiple projects
- Demonstrates a commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
- Ability to work with and effectively communicate with a wide range of audiences including: staff, community partners, volunteers, youth and adult participants, the general public
- Enthusiasm to work outdoors in all weather conditions,
- Complete physically demanding tasks and be comfortable handling items up to 50 lbs.
- Flexibility to work on weekends and evenings. Varies based on the season, but could range from 1-3 weekend days/month.
- Comfortable with Mac OS, Microsoft Office, and Google Drive apps
- A valid driver’s license is required and willing to drive on NYC streets
- Willing to operate a cargo bike on NYC streets (training will be provided)
- At least two years of higher education experience
- Bilingual skills
- Comfortable with being flexible and adapting to change
- Demonstrated mentorship and leadership skills
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
This is a full-time, salaried position. The salary range for the position is $50,000 to $58,000, commensurate with skills and experience. The Ecology Center contributes $880/month towards a health care plan and offers a 401K matching plan. New employees are offered 15 days of vacation, 5 personal days and 5 safe/sick days.
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified candidates should submit a resume and cover letter that addresses why you’re interested in the position, how your experiences relate to the job responsibilities, and why you would like to work for the Ecology Center. Application materials should be combined into a single pdf file and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Stewardship Coordinator - YOUR NAME” in the subject line.
Deadline to apply: January 5, 2023
No phone calls please.
The Lower East Side Ecology Center does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnic origin, national origin, creed, religion, political belief, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, veteran status, or physical or mental disability.