Stewardship Field Associate
Start Date: ASAP Compensation: $20.98/hr. Incumbent $24.13/hr.
NYC Parks is the steward of over 30,000 acres of land — 14 percent of New York City — including more than 5,000 individual properties ranging from Coney Island Beach and Central Park to community gardens and Greenstreets. We look after 600,000 street trees, and two million more in parks.
The mission of Forestry, Horticulture and Natural Resources (FHNR) is to protect, restore, expand and manage New York City’s natural spaces and green infrastructure to maximize their benefits and promote their value within and outside of the urban ecosystem.Employees who work for 6 months or longer are eligible for healthcare benefits.
• Under general supervision, with latitude for independent initiative and judgment, lead and participate in exotic invasive species management, native vegetation plantings, erosion control, coastal/park clean-ups and other service projects throughout New York City.
• Manage and supervise volunteers in a variety of outdoors settings including forests along New York City streets.
• Facilitate and enhance train the trainer options to provide wider variety of opportunities for volunteers.
• Maintain records and prepare reports, including the regular entry of fieldwork into tracking forms.
• Coordinate on-site efforts with other work happening within the division, with local park managers, local community groups and other agencies.
1. High school graduation or equivalent and three years of experience in community work or community centered activities
in an area related to duties described above; or
2. Education and/or experience which is equivalent to "1" above
1. Ability to work weekends and occasional evenings.
2. An associate degree (or higher) from an accredited college with specialization in forestry, ecology or a related subject.
3. Experience in natural resources restoration and management, forestry or arboricultural work and knowledge of exotic
invasive species management.
4. A valid New York State driver license.
5. Experience working with and motivating volunteers.
6. Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
7. Ability to work effectively as part of a team and independently.
8. Demonstrated commitment to public service and the environment.
9. Ability to lift 50lbs. and handle gas-powered equipment.
Residency in New York City, Nassau, Orange, Rockland, Suffolk, Putnam or Westchester counties required for employees with over two years of city service. New York City residency required for all other candidates within 90 days of hire.
Fees: Hired candidates will be subject to a processing fee of $61.00. Hired candidates who are not currently employed by the City will be subject to an $88.25 background check fee.
Vaccination Requirement: As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability. If you are offered city employment, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved by the hiring agency.
For more information and to apply email resume and cover letter to Luz Vargas (email@example.com) or mail to: :Luz Vargas, NYC Parks-Arsenal North, 1234 5th Avenue, New York, NY 10029
Parks & City Employees: Include your ERN on your cover letter and resume. All candidates please indicate which
position you are applying for.
POST DATE: 08/15/2022 POST UNTIL: FILLED
Website: Apply Online