Start Date: November 2022 Compensation: $25.80/hour
The Stewardship Specialist is a full time, long-term seasonal position that will assist the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation (OPRHP) in applying ecological and conservation biology principles to stewardship activities within the New York State Parks System. This position is located in the New York City State Park Region. This position works on varying environmental matters on a regional basis and has a wide range of responsibilities. These include implementing on-the-ground environmental stewardship projects, identifying and managing threats to biodiversity, responding to regional environmental issues and needs, report writing, data management, and travel. All of these tasks involve communicating closely with other OPRHP staff and partners. The Stewardship Specialist will work under the direct supervision of the Regional Director or designee.
Primary responsibilities require coordination and collaboration with; Park staff, Regional staff (operations and capital) and Environmental Stewardship staff and include but are not limited to:
- Applying professional-level skills, with a focus on applied environmental stewardship including biodiversity conservation and species and natural community protection within the assigned region.
- Working closely with and aiding the stewardship team on natural resource activities.
- Serving as a source of assistance and information for the region on environmental needs.
- Developing and implementing on-the-ground stewardship plans and projects, including all associated tasks.
- Working closely with regional staff to implement environmental policies, guidelines, principles, and provide specific guidance into daily activities, project development, plans, and actions.
- Working closely with the Division of Environmental Stewardship and Planning on stewardship priorities and related items.
- On a case by case basis, will assist OPRHP capital staff in gathering information for (1) environmental review (SEQRA) and permitting requirements, (2) identification of needs for and assistance with natural resource inventory and assessment, (3) environmental health issues, and (4) assistance in natural resource planning efforts.
- Maintaining close communication with other staff on matters pertaining to environmental protection and fostering communication throughout the regional offices and facilities.
- Coordinating volunteers in implementing stewardship activities.
- Utilizing NY Natural Heritage Program and other information to guide plans and actions.
- Maintaining innovative ideas and approaches to stewardship within OPRHP facilities.
- Conducting outreach to resource agencies, such as the Department of Environmental Conservation, non-governmental organizations and private sector partners to gather up-to-date information and build partnerships so stewardship efforts can be informed and supported.
- Providing input into environmental education and interpretation programs.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in biology, Environmental Science, Conservation Biology, Natural Resource Management or a related field is required. At least two years’ experience in conservation biology, applied resource management, or related field. A Master’s degree can be substituted for 1 year of experience. Knowledge of New York’s flora and fauna, conservation issues, and threats to species and ecosystems. Experience with on-the-ground stewardship-related projects. Leadership experience in a field setting. Strong written and oral communication skills. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills. Ability to work in rough terrain in a wide range of weather conditions. Ability to work with a wide variety of people with different job duties and backgrounds. Proficiency with Microsoft Office programs. Strong organizational and communication skills. Valid Driver’s license.
Working knowledge of GPS and GIS. Experience in organizing and training of staff and volunteers.
Project Funding and Duration: This position is a 37.5 hour / week, long-term seasonal position with NYS OPRHP in the Park and Recreation Specialist 2. The position will last at least one year and is expected to be extended based on availability of funds.
Salary Range: $25.80/hour
To Apply: Please email a cover letter, resume or CV, and names and contact information for three professional references to Jennifer Adams, Jennifer.firstname.lastname@example.org . Please insert the words “Stewardship Specialist” in the subject line.
NY State Office of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation (OPRHP)
Contact Name: Jennifer Adams