Stormwater Environmental Coordinator
(Paid Opportunities) Return to Paid Opportunities
Start Date: ASAP Compensation: $54,100 - $83,981 per year
Environment and Planning division aims to protect, restore, and expand New York City Parks including green spaces and natural areas to maximize their benefits for environmental and community health and resilience. The Natural Resources Group’s mission is to protect, restore, expand, and manage New York City’s over 12,000 acres of natural spaces and green infrastructure across the five boroughs, including forests, grasslands and wetlands.
- Under direction provide technical expertise in the fields of hydrology and stormwater management to ensure regulatory compliance and inform natural resource protection, ecological restoration design, and green infrastructure design across NYC parkland at the site- to watershed-scale.
- Under consultation with other senior staff, oversee the collection of stormwater sewer infrastructure and associated data, review and digitize sewer records, create maps, and maintain a spatial data base to help meet Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) and Unified Stormwater Rule (USWR) requirements.
- Identify data gaps that require field investigations to verify flow patterns, connectivity of sewers, outfall conditions, and other drainage characteristics to support MS4 and USWR compliance and illicit discharge detection.
- Provide technical and planning assistance through data collection and management and map preparation to support and review of resiliency, stormwater management, and emergency management initiatives and plans, such as flood protection, illicit discharge detection and elimination, and others.
- Work across multi-disciplinary teams of planners, engineers, scientists, and designers to meet agency objectives.
- Perform spatial analyses including modelling flow accumulation and delineating drainage areas and sewer sheds for geographic points and/or outfalls using relevant software (e.g., ArcGIS, ArcHydro).
- Perform hydrological and hydraulic modeling (e.g., stormwater routing) to support design of stormwater management
practices on NYC parkland.
- Assist with the collection, storage, maintenance, and dissemination of data relevant to natural resource management; manage metadata and other technical documentation.
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and two years of experience in community work or community centered activities in an area related to the duties described above; or
- High school graduation or equivalent and six years of experience in community work or community centered activities in an area related to the duties as described above; or
- Education and/or experience which is equivalent to "1" or "2" above. However, all candidates must have at least one year of experience as described in "1" above.
Residency in New York City, Nassau, Orange, Rockland, Suffolk, Putnam or Westchester counties required for employees with over two years of city service. New York City residency is required within 90 days of hire for all other candidates.
1. A master’s degree with major study in geography, Geographic Information Systems, environmental science or engineering, computer science, and other related disciplines such as landscape architecture, civil engineering, or city planning.
2. Extensive experience using the ESRI ArcGIS and related computer system software.
3. Strong demonstrated knowledge, experience, and interest in hydrologic and hydraulic modeling for watershed planning and ecological restoration (e.g., streams, lakes, ponds, and wetlands) and design of stormwater management practices.
4. Knowledge or interest in Python and related coding languages.
5. Excellent communication, presentation, and organizational skills.
6. Ability to work effectively as part of a team as well as independently.
How to Apply
Click here to apply: Stormwater Environmental Coordinator OR
Go to nyc.gov/careers/search and search for Job ID# 580266.
Movement in the face of civil service lists is prohibited under civil service law. The City of New York is an inclusive equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy
Telecommunications device for the deaf: (212) 504-4115
Website: Apply Online