Summer Garden Volunteer Program
Start Date: 7/12/22 Compensation: Volunteer
Edible Schoolyard NYC Summer Garden Volunteer Program
Edible Schoolyard NYC supports edible education for every child in New York City. We partner with New York City public schools to cultivate healthy students and communities through hands-on cooking and gardening education, transforming children’s relationship with food.
The Summer Garden Volunteer Program is a weekly commitment that runs from the week of July 11th to the week of August 29th at P.S. 216 in Gravesend, Brooklyn. We ask volunteers to make sure they will attend at least 6 out of those 8 weeks. Working under the supervision of our Garden Managers, volunteers help with garden maintenance; cultivate food grown for programming; and model positive behavior in the teaching garden, a place of wonder and respect for the environment and the community. Volunteers have the opportunity to develop and share skills related to growing organic food in an urban environment, and will work alongside equally enthusiastic advocates of edible education. This is not a teaching position.
The Summer Garden Volunteer Program is a 2-month unpaid program, which takes place on Tuesdays from 10am to 2pm and Fridays from 10am to 2pm. Applicants can choose to commit to either or both days, based on availability and interest level. The program begins the week of July 11th and concludes the week of August 29th, but volunteers are welcome to rejoin for the following Fall season if they’d like.
- Participating in composting, mulching, irrigation, planting, weeding, and other routine garden tasks;
- Assisting in maintenance of garden facilities and equipment;
- Harvesting in preparation for a weekly farmstand that takes place on Friday afternoons.
- Volunteers must be comfortable being around children
- All new volunteers must complete a mandatory sexual abuse prevention training
- All new volunteers must complete the DOE’s fingerprinting and background check process (we pay for this)
- All volunteers must show proof of Covid vaccination.
- Volunteers must follow all NYC Department of Education Covid Guidelines
Interested applicants should send an email with “Summer Garden Volunteer Program” in the subject line to email@example.com. Please specify if you’d like to volunteer on Tuesdays and/or Fridays and why you are interested in this opportunity. No experience necessary, but we’d love to hear if you have any! No phone calls or drop-ins, please.
Edible Schoolyard NYC
Contact Name: Dan Feder