Under guidance of the director of Horticulture and general supervision of the foreman, does gardening and related work, primarily in (but not limited to) the Native Flora Garden.
- Deal with all aspects of horticulture on the grounds, including planting, cultivating, watering, fertilizing, pruning, weeding, mulching and caring for trees, flowers, shrubs, lawns, and other flora.
- Inspect and identify pest problems and with guidance, treat such problems using techniques of Integrated Pest Management.
- Operate and maintain hand- and power-gardening tools and small equipment. Make necessary operating adjustments to same, report need for repair and replacement.
- Supervise assigned subordinate employees, such as interns and volunteers, instructing them in gardening techniques and in the proper use and care of materials and equipment.
- Keep records, including daily/weekly log of activity, timely submission of plant inventory control reports and label requests; submit weekly reports to director of Horticulture.
- As directed, perform various tasks in connection with general grounds and conservatory care and Brooklyn Botanic Garden events.
- Adhere to the policies of the Horticulture department and Brooklyn Botanic Garden.
- Perform other related duties or special projects as directed.
- Two (2) years of college and/or associate’s degree related to horticulture
- Three (3) years of full-time paid experience in:
- Maintenance of trees, shrubs, herbaceous plants, and lawns, and
- Operation and maintenance of gardening tools and equipment
- Satisfactory equivalent combination of education and experience
- Valid driver’s license
- Physical fitness to perform job functions
- Ability to pass written examination and/or practical test
- Extensive knowledge of native flora, both sun and shade environments
- Experience maintaining native flora beds and/or gardens
- Creative and able to work both individually and collaboratively with other staff with shared tools and equipment
How to Apply:
Applications submitted without a résumé and cover letter will not be considered.
Please go to bbg.org/about/careers to apply for the position
No telephone calls for position inquiries, please. Applicants with disabilities who need assistance with the online system may contact Human Resources at email@example.com.
Brooklyn Botanic Garden is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
Brooklyn Botanic Garden requires all employees be vaccinated and therefore, new-hires must provide proof of vaccination prior to their first day of employment. If you believe that you may have an exemption from the vaccine mandate by federal or state law, please contact HR.
Brooklyn Botanic Garden
Website: Apply Online