Trail Stewardship Coordinator
Compensation: $45,000-$50,000 per year
Van Cortlandt Park Alliance (VCPA) seeks a Trail Stewardship Coordinator who is motivated, self-directed, and energetic with strong interest in outdoor environmental work to lead restoration projects on the Cross Country Course, Putnam Greenway, and hiking trails in Van Cortlandt Park. The Trail Stewardship Coordinator will be responsible for recruiting and supervising volunteers.
About Van Cortlandt Park Alliance Van Cortlandt Park Alliance (VCPA) preserves, supports, and promotes the recreational, ecological, and historical value of Van Cortlandt Park. VCPA raises funds to support the park’s operation, oversees 1,000+ volunteers per year, educates 2,000+ students, and provides cultural and environmental programming for the public, encouraging them to become stewards of this flagship park–the green jewel of the Bronx.
At 1,146 acres, Van Cortlandt Park is the third largest park in NYC, with over 20 miles of hiking, biking, and running trails. The park is perhaps most famous for its world-renowned 100+ year-old cross country course, which comprises “flats” and challenging “back hills”: A crushed stone trail leads runners across the flat lawn of the Parade Ground, through the dry upland forest of Vault Hill, then up and over the hills of the Northwest Forest. With many high profile races during the fall season, and training during the summer, the trail needs constant maintenance to keep it in tip-top shape.
The Trail Stewardship Coordinator reports directly to VCPA’s Deputy Director. In the field, this position will report to the Landscape & Natural Areas Manager, an employee of NYC Parks. This position will work closely with both VCPA and NYC Parks staff. Physical work includes excavating, leveling trail substrates, retrenching and resetting water bars, clearing swales, building boardwalks and turnpikes, correcting trip hazards and pruning along trails. The Trail Stewardship Coordinator will also regularly recruit, organize, and supervise volunteer groups to assist in maintenance of the trail. During the summer and fall, they will supervise high school interns and seasonal staff on trail projects.
Ideally, the Trail Stewardship Coordinator will have equal parts interest in field and administrative work, and possess an entrepreneurial spirit. They will have a strong desire to build and grow the volunteer program and take it to the next level!
- Build VCPA volunteer programs by developing new partnerships and growing current ones.
- Lead groups of college students, interns, corporate employees, and more.
- Correct worn and eroded sections of the historic cross country running course and surrounding areas.
- General trail and forest restoration maintenance including: raking, trash removal, fence repair and installation, pruning, weeding, painting and snow removal.
- Weekly inspections, in season, of complete Cross Country Course for hazards. Monthly inspection of other trails for hazards.
- Recruit, train, and supervise volunteers.
- Use courtesy with park visitors.
- Other tasks as needed.
General VCPA Activities:
- Represent VCPA at community or tabling events outside the park.
- Create content for social media pertaining to programs and events.
- Office support and other tasks as needed.
- Participation in fundraising, educational, community, and other events.
- Assist in program-related grant proposals and report writing.
- Prepare reports to be submitted to the Executive Director.
- College degree in environmental science or related field. Graduate degree is a plus.
- At least 1 year of trail maintenance, forest restoration or related experience.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Experience working with volunteers/community members.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to lift at least 50 pounds.
- Previous experience with hand tools such as shovels, pick ax, crow bar, and hand saw.
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
- First Aid and CPR Certification (desired).
- NYS Driver’s License.
- Will need to work scheduled programs on weekday evenings and weekends, as well as special events.
Full-time Permanent Position:
- Starting September 2023
- 35 hours per week
- Schedule varies but typically from 8am to 4pm with occasional evenings and Saturdays
Salary: $45,000 to $50,000 depending on experience, plus health benefits and matching Simple IRA contributions after 90 days.
Reports to: Deputy Director
Send resume and 3 references to email@example.com.
Applicants will be interviewed until positions are filled.
Van Cortlandt Park Alliance
Contact Name: Christina Taylor