Tree Planting Helper (Seasonal)
Be part of the driving force that sustains Prospect Park, Brooklyn’s Flagship Park. Founded in 1987, Prospect Park Alliance is the non-profit organization that sustains, restores and advances Prospect Park, “Brooklyn’s Backyard,” in partnership with the City. The Alliance provides critical staff and resources that keep the Park green and vibrant for the diverse communities that call Brooklyn home.
The Prospect Park Alliance seeks a Seasonal Tree Planting Helper to collaborate with our Landscape Management Operations department. The Tree planting helper will assist with tree planting in Prospect Park for 5 weeks in either spring or fall.
- Digging holes for tree planting and transplanting
- Planting and transplanting trees and shrubs
- Loading/unloading plant materials onto and from transportation vehicles
- Watering newly planted trees
- Hand weeding and weed whacking
- Assisting with leadership of volunteer groups
- Lawn installation, renovation, over-seeding and care
- Trash, plant debris and invasive species removal
- Interaction with Park patrons in a professional and courteous manner
- Positive, self-motivated, problem-solver, and a strong work ethic
- Punctual with excellent attendance
- Ability to lift 50 lbs on a regular basis and to work outside in all weather conditions
- Ability to effectively communicate with others including staff, volunteers, and the public
- Valid New York State driver’s license
- One or more years horticultural or landscaping experience
- Experience with a chainsaw, chipper, hedge-trimmer, front-loader tractor and back-hoe a plus
The schedule is Monday to Friday, 7AM-3:30PM, but occasional hours outside of this for special events. This is a seasonal position; the spring season starts April 15th and lasts 5 weeks.
How to Apply:
- Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please, no phone calls. Although we appreciate your interest, we will only contact applicants we are considering for interview.
The Alliance is committed to creating an inclusive employee experience for all. Regardless of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, or if you’re parenting the next generation, we firmly believe that our work is at its best when everyone feels free to be their most authentic self.