Tree Trust Project Implementation Coordinator
Start Date: June 2023 Compensation: $29.61 per hour new hire $34.05 per hour incumbent /35 hours per week
NYC Parks is the steward of over 30,000 acres of land — 14 percent of New York City — including more than 5,000 individual properties ranging from Coney Island Beach and Central Park to community gardens and Greenstreets. We look after 600,000 street trees, and two million more in parks. The mission of Environment and Planning (E & P) is to protect, restore, expand, and manage New York City’s natural spaces and green infrastructure to maximize their benefits and promote their value within and outside of the urban ecosystem. The Central Forestry & Horticulture division manages citywide urban forestry initiatives including street tree planting and landscape enhancement contracts, stewardship, urban forest management plans, and the Asian Longhorn Beetle eradication effort. The New York Tree Trust, a program of Central Forestry with the City Parks Foundation serving as fiscal sponsor, was established in 1994 to protect, preserve, and enhance New York City’s Street, park, and forest trees. The Tree Trust fosters public-private partnerships in urban forestry, raises public awareness of the importance of urban forestry conservation and stewardship, promotes new technologies to enhance tree survival and advance innovative management tools, and revitalizes historically significant municipal trees. Seasonal employees hired for 6 months or longer are eligible for healthcare benefits. All seasonal employees earn sick and annual leave.
All employees receive free membership to our recreation centers.
- Under general supervision, with the latitude for independent initiative and judgment, perform responsible work and assigned tasks to provide
necessary and important community services.
- Schedule and supervise field surveys and inspections to assess potential tree planting locations. Recommend solutions regarding species selection and site design.
- Supervise work to be done by contractors for tree planting, tree transplants, tree guards, sidewalk repairs and related Tree Trust contracts, monitoring of contractors.
- Perform post-construction field inspections.
- Create construction schedules, attend preconstruction meetings, and compile daily reports.
- Manage existing monthly tree guard orders and maintain an up-to-date record of service.
- Oversee installations for modular tree guards and maintain an inventory of parts and equipment.
- Maintain working relationships with project stakeholders involved in community-based greening efforts, which may include community groups, Business Improvement Districts, and other project funders.
- Provide relevant project information to update the city-wide tree database.
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and two years of experience in community work or community centered activities in an area related to the duties described above; or
- High school graduation or equivalent and six years of experience in community work or community centered activities in an area related to the duties as described above; or
- Education and/or experience which is equivalent to “1” or “2” above. However, all candidates must have at least one year of experience as
described in “1” above.
- A master’s degree from an accredited university with specialization in Forestry or a related subject; or
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college with specialization in Forestry or a related subject and Two years of full-time professional experience in project implementation; or
- An associate degree from an accredited college with specialization in Forestry or a related subject and 3 years of full-time professional experience in forestry or arboricultural work; or
- Education and/or experience equivalent to the above.
- Ability to lift 30 lbs.
- Valid New York State driver license.
Residency in New York City, Nassau, Orange, Rockland, Suffolk, Putnam, or Westchester counties required for employees with over two years of city service. New York City residency is required for all other candidates within 90 days of hire.
- Fees: Hired candidates will be subject to a processing fee of $68.00 to $82.00. Hired candidates who are not currently employed by the city will be subject to an $88.25 background check fee.
HOW TO APPLY
Email resume and cover letter to Nave Strauss at email@example.com
Parks and City employees include your ERN on your resume and cover letter.