Trees & Saplings Seasonal Lead Instructor
Start Date: 03/16/2023 Compensation: $22/hour
Position Title: Trees & Saplings Seasonal Lead Instructor
Department: Children’s Education
Reports to: Children’s Garden Coordinators
FLSA Status: Part-time Seasonal, Nonexempt
Compensation: $22 per hour
Available Positions: 2
Brooklyn Botanic Garden’s Children’s Education programs are world renowned for teaching hands-on gardening and plant science to children. The Trees and Saplings Lead Instructor will spend the spring and fall seasons in BBG’s Children’s Garden, collaborating with Education Fellows to plan lessons to teach children to grow, maintain, and harvest vegetables, herbs, and flowers. The lead instructor plans weekly lessons and team-teaches age-appropriate gardening lessons to a group of 10 child-and-adult pairs. Lessons include making simple recipes with garden produce, caring for the environment, and exploring the natural world.
Brooklyn Botanic Garden is looking to hire two Trees and Saplings instructors, with a commitment of about 18 hours per week during the spring and fall seasons. Tree and Saplings instructors gain experience in early childhood education, lesson planning, and horticulture.
- Design, prepare, and teach hands-on gardening lessons to a group of 10 young children (2–4 years old) and their adult partners.
- Develop and lead supplementary enrichment activities such as seasonal cooking, nature crafts, or simple science experiments.
- Ensure that assigned garden plots are maintained according to weekly schedule (including planting, weeding, mulching, and watering).
- Assist in teaching other education programs as needed.
- Formal or non-formal early-childhood education experience (with children aged 2-4), ideally in a classroom or outdoor setting
- Experience with gardening, plants, horticulture, and/or botany
- Flexibility and willingness to take on a variety of tasks; ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, highly collaborative environment
- Experience and comfort working on a team with staff from diverse backgrounds
- High level of responsibility, reliability, and motivation
- Ability to perform physical labor and work outdoors in various weather conditions
- Passion for education, gardening, and fun
Mandatory Paid Training:
- 3 Fridays, March 17, 24, 31 | 2–6 p.m.
- 3 Saturdays, March 18, 25, April 1 | 9 am.–4 p.m.
- Date TBD, 10 a.m.–4 p.m.
- 7 Wednesdays, April 19, 26, May 3, 10, 17, 24, 31 | 8 a.m.–12:30 p.m.
- 7 Thursdays, April 20, 27, May 4, 11, 18, 25, June 1 | 8 a.m.–12:30 p.m.
- 7 Fridays, April 7, 21, 28, May 5, 12, 19, June 2 | 3–6 p.m.
- 7 Saturdays, April 8, 22, 29, May 6, 13, 20, June 3 | 9:30 a.m.–2:30 p.m.
- No programs April 14–15 and May 26–27
- 7 Wednesdays, September 6, 13, 20, 27, October 4, 11, 18| 8 a.m.–1 p.m.
- 7 Thursdays, September 7, 14, 21, 28, October 5, 12, 19 | 8 a.m.–1 p.m.
- 7 Fridays, September 8, 15, 22, 29, October 13, 20, 27 | 3–6 p.m.
- 7 Saturdays, September 9, 16, 23, 30, October 14, 21, 28 | 9:30 a.m.–3:30 p.m.
- No programs October 6 and 7
To be considered for this position, please submit an application by clicking Apply below. Applications submitted without a résumé and cover letter will not be considered.
No telephone calls for position inquiries, please. Applicants with disabilities who need assistance with the online system, or who may require a reasonable accommodation during the application process, should contact Human Resources at email@example.com.
Brooklyn Botanic Garden is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
Brooklyn Botanic Garden requires all employees to be vaccinated and therefore, new hires must provide proof of vaccination prior to their first day of employment. If you believe that you may have an exemption from the vaccine mandate by federal or state law, please contact HR.
- BBG offers certain benefits to part-time employees including:
- Up to 56 hours of sick leave
- Short-term disability/New York Paid Family Leave
- As a 501(c)3, BBG is a Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Eligible Employer
- Museum Pass which provides employees the opportunity to enter many museums in New York City for free