Turf & IPM Gardener
Under the guidance of the director of Horticulture and general supervision of the foreman, the gardener performs gardening and related work on the grounds and/or conservatories, specifically focusing on turf.
- Engage in all aspects of horticulture, both on the grounds and in the conservatories, including planting, cultivating, watering, fertilizing, pruning, weeding, mulching, and caring for trees, shrubs, flowers, lawns, and other flora.
- Inspect and identify pest problems and treat such problems using Integrated Pest Management techniques.
- Select, propagate, design, and purchase plants, following appropriate horticultural procedures.
- Operate and maintain hand- and power-gardening tools and small equipment, including making necessary operating adjustments and reporting need for repair and replacement.
- Operate large power-gardening equipment, such as a tractor, mower, rototiller, roller, or sprayer, as needed.
- Supervise assigned subordinate employees, including temporary workers and volunteers, and instruct them in gardening techniques and in the proper use and care of materials and equipment.
- Keep and submit records in a timely fashion, including plant inventory control reports and label requests; keep a log of plant collections and job-related activities; and submit quarterly reports to director of Gardens and Grounds.
- As directed, perform various tasks in connection with general grounds and conservatory care and Garden events.
- Adhere to the policies of the Horticulture department and Brooklyn Botanic Garden generally.
- Perform other related duties or special projects as directed.
• Two (2) years’ college and/or associate degree related to horticulture
Three (3) years’ full-time, paid experience in the following:
- Maintenance of trees, shrubs, herbaceous plants, and lawns, and
- Operation and maintenance of gardening tools and equipment
Satisfactory equivalent combination of education and experience
- Valid driver’s license
- Ability to pass a physical examination by a doctor, verifying fitness to perform job functions
- Ability to pass written examination and/or practical test
- Ability to obtain and maintain pesticide apprentice certification
- Extensive experience with turf equipment: riding, walk-behind, and handheld
- Experience with IPM methodology and approaches
- Experience with scouting for pests
- Ability to work both individually and collaboratively
How to Apply:
Applications submitted without a résumé and cover letter will not be considered.
Please go to bbg.org/about/careers to apply for the position
No telephone calls for position inquiries, please. Applicants with disabilities who need assistance with the online system may contact Human Resources at email@example.com.
Brooklyn Botanic Garden is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
Brooklyn Botanic Garden requires all employees be vaccinated and therefore, new-hires must provide proof of vaccination prior to their first day of employment. If you believe that you may have an exemption from the vaccine mandate by federal or state law, please contact HR.
Brooklyn Botanic Garden
Website: Apply Online