Urban Farmer & Educator
Title: Urban Farmer & Educator
Job Type: Full-Time, 40 hours per week; plus overtime when required; Non-Exempt
Pay Rate: $21-$24 per hour
Benefits: Comprehensive benefits package 60 days following date of hire (health insurance, paid time off, etc.)
Work Location: Randall’s Island Park, New York, NY 10035
Randall’s Island Park Alliance, Inc. (RIPA) is a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization that works with the City of New York and local communities to provide an innovative and exciting destination through a wide range of sports venues, public programs, cultural events, and environmental exploration. As the dedicated steward of Randall’s Island Park, the Alliance sustains, maintains, develops, and programs the Park to support the wellbeing of all New Yorkers. RIPA typically has an annual operating budget of $10 million (pre-COVID 19), approximately half of which is raised through fundraising.
The Urban Farmer & Educator will report directly to the Urban Farm Manager and work with the Environmental Education Coordinator and other members of the Urban Farm department to maintain and program the Randall’s Island Urban Farm.
- Work with the Urban Farm Manager to assist with planting, preparation, and maintenance of the Urban Farm including: soil cultivation, digging, mulching, watering, raking, weeding, edging, pruning, seed sowing, trellising, planting, and composting.
- Develop and execute, in consultation and under the supervision of the Urban Farm Manager, all educational activities held on the Urban Farm including preparation of the farm for student visits, lesson planning, creation of educational materials, and teaching hands-on edible education to children of various ages.
- Conduct educational workshops and tours and lead volunteer groups in a safe and educational environment.
- Work collaboratively with the Environmental Education Coordinator to develop curriculum execute lesson plans, as needed.
- Assist the Urban Farm Manager with record keeping of harvest yields, disease, pest control, and educational efforts.
- Provide care for a flock of chickens, including watering and feeding.
- Provide guidance and assist with training for seasonal employees.
- Ensure all equipment is secured and well-maintained.
- Provide excellent customer service when interacting with park patrons.
- Perform other general tasks as assigned by the Urban Farm Manager.
This job description is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all job functions that an employee in this position may be asked to perform from time to time.
- Strong gardening skills and familiarity with gardening tools, plant diseases, and sustainable growing principals
- One year or more of experience with educational children’s programming, teaching and/or working with youth and coordinating group dynamics
- Strong communication and leadership skills
- Willing to work outdoors in all types of weather, under strenuous conditions
- Ability to perform physical labor; must be able to lift up to 50 lbs
- Motivated and punctual, able to work both independently and as part of a team
- Flexibility to work overtime, evenings and weekends, as needed
- Ability to use light power equipment and hand tools
- Detail-oriented, with considerable attention to order and cleanliness throughout the park
- Valid Driver License
- Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination
- Two or more years of agriculture experience and/or degree in agriculture or related field
- B.A. in Agriculture, Education or Sustainability related field
- Coursework in introductory biology, ecology, or related field
- NYC Master Composter certificate
- Experience engaging youth and low-income communities in urban food-justice activities
- A strong interest in teaching culturally relevant cooking lessons and promoting sustainable eating
- Experience with crop planning and farm record software
The Randall’s Island Park Alliance, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and believes in a diverse and an inclusive workspace and environment.
Randall's Island Park Alliance
Website: Apply Online