Volunteer Field Technician
Compensation: $45,000+ per year
The primary job function of this position is to provide on-site field support to all horticulture related volunteer activities. The successful candidate will have prior experience in gardening and/or landscaping, be capable of performing quality work, be punctual and have excellent attendance, adhere to agency uniform policy and work well with others.
The Hudson River Parks volunteer program is key to the success of the Parks maintenance and continues to grow each year. In 2019, the Park had over 60 groups and 2,000 volunteers. Our volunteer program provides numerous opportunities for the public to give back through gardening, environmental cleanup, special events and more! Our volunteer opportunities engage local community members, students, corporate groups, and individuals in all five boroughs, encouraging public participation in the Park's growth, to guarantee its future for generations of New Yorkers, Americans and visitors from around the world.
Supervise Individual & Group Volunteer Events:
- Assist with supervision of all individual, corporate and group volunteer events in collaboration with Hudson River Park Friends and other staff including but not limited to event prep, oversight and cleanup.
- Assist collecting all waivers for volunteers.
- Manage and inventory all equipment, tools and supplies used by volunteers.
- Complete work orders and daily tasks as assigned, track time, resources and materials used on a daily basis, complete reports and make notifications in line with policies and procedures. Maintain an organized database for volunteers & events. The position will require learning HRPT’s Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS).
- Act as point person for all work in the field with weekly Neighborhood Gardeners.
Plant & Turf Care:
- Maintain the parks diverse plantings of trees, shrubs, perennials, annuals, grasses, turf and bulbs.
- Perform seasonal gardening/landscaping work such as mowing, pruning, weeding, fertilizing, deadheading, mulching, dividing, planting, soil placement, etc.
The Trust places the highest value on the safety of our staff, contractors, volunteers and public.
- Perform and ensure tasks carried out safely and comply with requirements for use of proper personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Must safely operate tools, vehicles, and specialized equipment.
- Perform snow and ice removal activities as directed, including the operation of specialized equipment, manual labor, and application of deicing products.
- Must be willing and able to perform duties of other divisions/positions as directed or required commensurate with need and incumbent’s level of skill.
Education & Experience: Basic plant identification skills and general knowledge of turf care and irrigation system operation preferred. Candidates with experience or degree in Horticulture, Turfgrass Management, or other related field are preferred.
- Must be a good public speaker, enthusiastic and have the ability to motivate staff and volunteers when performing tasks. Must engage volunteers with a positive attitude.
- Act in a professional manner at all times with other staff, outside contractors, vendors and park patrons.
- A valid driver’s license with a clean history, with ability to operate a manual transmission is preferred.
- Direct physical labor (lifting up to 50 pounds, bending, squatting, digging, etc.) is expected and seasonal gardeners must be willing and able to work in all weather conditions.
- Candidates should have an interest in learning and acquiring new skills.
- Proof of Covid-19 vaccination status is required.
Hudson River Park Trust
Contact Name: Matt Post