Watering Truck Operator
(Paid Opportunities) Return to Paid Opportunities
The Horticultural Society of New York (the Hort) seeks a Watering Truck Operator to join our Horticulture department.
The mission of The Horticultural Society of New York is to improve human lives through horticulture. Our social service and public programs create green spaces in all neighborhoods as a vital part of social infrastructure, train people for jobs that grow and sustain green communities, and develop fresh approaches to improve New Yorkers’ health, well-being, and environment through horticulture.
- Driving to the client’s location to water plants and trees
- Perform diverse horticultural, ground keeping, and greenhouse tasks, including but not limited to watering, weeding, planting, transplanting, pruning, mulching, and mowing
- Inspecting and loading equipment for the day’s work
- Perform daily pre-trip and post-trip truck inspections
- Load and unload hoses from the truck
- Troubleshooting and replacing faulty parts
- Report vehicle repairs to necessary management
- Conducting routine maintenance checks for trucks, tanks, and watering needs
- Completing progress reports and associated paperwork for plant and worksites
- Testing the soil and vegetation to determine irrigation needs
- Mapping out areas for watering needs or irrigation needs
- Survey site conditions
- Document the status of job sites
- Communicate improvements needed or issues
- Take photos of all sites to document progress, for social media, and promotional use
- Comply with all safety procedures and DOT requirements
- Tuesday through Saturday schedule required during peak watering times
- Valid NYS Driver’s License
- Horticulturist/gardener with hands-on experience building and maintaining urban green spaces, gardens, and/or urban farms
- At least 6 months of watering truck or irrigation experience
- Knowledge of soil, vegetation, climate, and plant needs.
- Adaptability and foresight to handle unexpected situations (traffic, weather conditions, etc.)
- Good communication skills.
- Strong navigation or mapping skills are a plus.
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple projects at once.
- Comfortable working in high-traffic areas (roadsides, medians, traffic circles, tree pits, etc.).
- Perform all other duties and tasks assigned.
- All employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 before their start date
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions.
- Ability to stand for long periods and lift heavy objects
- Comfortable sitting in a truck and driving in New York City traffic
- Able to lift approximately 80 pounds
- The Hort offers all Full-Time regular employees a generous Paid Time Off package, termed Life Insurance
- Policy and Employee Assistance Program. Pre-tax benefits include transit, Flexible Spending Account, and medical, dental, and vision insurance.
- Salary Range: $60,000 to $65,000 annually
- Employment Classification: Full-Time Regular
- Reports To: Director of Horticulture
- Weekly Schedule: Wednesday- Sunday (weekends required)
How to Apply
To be considered, please email a thoughtful cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Watering Truck Operator’ in the subject line—no phone calls.
The Hort is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. It is an equal-opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, political orientation, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
We provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities to enable them to perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations are also available for these individuals during the hiring process. Please email email@example.com should you require reasonable accommodation during the hiring process.
The Horticultural Society of New York