A private estate in Northern Westchester, with extensive plant collections and a variety of garden types is seeking an experienced horticulturist to manage the woodland garden.
The Woodland Gardener, reporting to the Director of Horticulture, primarily maintains all aspects of a 12-acre woodland garden that includes a Japanese Maple collection, rare ephemeral and perennial plant collections, camellias, moss areas and several water features. The position is full time, seasonal, with the potential for year-round employment.
- Maintain all aspects of an intensely cultivated and well-established woodland garden—planting, dividing, weeding, mulching, pruning, dead-heading, etc. using best horticultural practices.
- Record plant acquisitions, transplants and de-accessioned material; maintain all plant labels within the garden and request replacements as needed.
- Fine prune Japanese Maple collection, as directed.
- Monitor for pests and disease, and report any issues.
- Renovate entire beds including soil amendments and plant division.
- Monitor irrigation system and report any problems.
- Hand water newly planted trees and shrubs.
- Work in conjunction with other gardeners on large projects throughout the property.
- Select seed and/or propegules for in-house propagation program.
- Maintain neat and orderly work space, and personal appearance.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Degree or certification in horticulture or related field preferred and a minimum of 3 years, hands-on, fine gardening experience.
- Must possess a strong knowledge of plant identification, plant growth and cultural requirements.
- Must be self-motivated, able to manage time efficiently and execute tasks independently.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds and to perform strenuous labor in all weather conditions
- Ability to be flexible in a fast paced and dynamic environment where priorities shift due to variables like weather, scheduling and events.
Competitive salary and benefits package offered.
Those passionate about gardening and plants, interested in working in an extraordinary space and who are ready to keep the pace with a dedicated and knowledgeable staff as they meet the high standards of the property should send a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
Only those candidates being considered for the position will be contacted.
A private estate in Northern Westchester