Compensation: Competitive salary and benefits package
An estate in Northern Westchester, with extensive plant collections and a variety of garden types is seeking an experienced horticulturist to manage the woodland garden.
The Woodland Gardener, reporting to the Director of Horticulture, primarily maintains all aspects of a 12-acre woodland garden that includes a Japanese Maple collection, rare ephemeral and perennial plant collections, camellias, moss areas and water features. The position is full time, seasonal, with the potential for year-round employment
- Maintain all aspects of an intensely cultivated and well-established woodland garden—planting, dividing, weeding, mulching, pruning, dead-heading, etc. using best horticultural practices.
- Record plant acquisitions, transplants and de-accessioned material; maintain all plant labels within the garden and request replacements as needed.
- Fine prune Japanese Maple collection, as directed.
- Monitor for pests and disease, and report any issues.
- Renovate entire beds including soil amendments and plant division.
- Monitor irrigation system and report any problems.
- Hand water newly planted trees and shrubs.
- Work in conjunction with other gardeners on large projects throughout the property.
- Select seed and/or propegules for in-house propagation program.
- Maintain neat and orderly work space, and personal appearance.
- Degree or certification in horticulture or related field preferred and/or a minimum of 3 years, hands-on, fine gardening experience.
- Must possess a strong knowledge of plant identification, plant growth and cultural requirements.
- Must be self-motivated, able to manage time efficiently and execute tasks independently.
- Familiar with Microsoft Office.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds and to perform strenuous labor in all weather conditions
- Ability to be flexible in a fast paced and dynamic environment where priorities shift due to variables like weather, scheduling and events.
Only those candidates being considered for the position will be contacted